The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Sheldon2Offline
Post subject: Simple Sony LBT-D107R Compact Shelf Stereo System static  PostPosted: Jan 31, 2014 - 09:37 PM
Level 1
Level 1

I just wanted something simple to plug my Auto Technica into to listen to my records. Nothing fancy. I have a cheap RCA unit that makes an annoying humming noise inside the unit but plays the records fine.But wanted something else because of the humming noise. I got this Sony unit and I can barely hear the music behind all of the static. The person that sold it to me said it was in working order when he shipped it.
I don't know enough to know where the problem is originating from and if it can be fixed easily - is it the speakers? Is it the wires? Is it the unit where the wires go in? I don't need anything fancy, but it's hard to find these simple units with phono input.

If neither of these is going to play my records, can you recommend something new that is simple, $200 or less, that will have a phono input?

Reply with quote Back to top
CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: RE: Simple Sony LBT-D107R Compact Shelf Stereo System static  PostPosted: Feb 01, 2014 - 09:24 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Hi Sheldon and welcome to the RCG.

Not sure if this is the source of the hum, but is your turntable ground wire hooked up to the amp? If not, that may be the problem.

GraemeOffline
Post subject: RE: Simple Sony LBT-D107R Compact Shelf Stereo System static  PostPosted: Feb 01, 2014 - 12:29 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Quote:

I have a cheap RCA unit that makes an annoying humming noise inside the unit but plays the records fine.

This is usually the result of loose laminations in the mains transformer. As you say, it doesn't affect the sound through the speakers, just a mechanical noise from the amplifier. The cure could be as simple as tightening down the screws that hold the transformer to the chassis.

Jump to: