The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: flexi 78s  PostPosted: Feb 07, 2014 - 06:55 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

i was searching for info on the late 50s flexi 78s to send to someone and couldn't find anything. are they calling them by another name now? i have seen quite a few of these, rca, capitol, X, and others i can't remember. some like the roy rogers and dale evens were even green vinyl. i was telling someone i remembered them having very good sound qualities. my theory is the faster the record spins the better the sound.

Reply with quote Back to top
stephenjayeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 08, 2014 - 07:57 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I don't think it's just your imagination playing tricks on ya', Wurl, them 78s do sound better than their 45rpm counterparts. A bunch of us old collectors gather monthly to play DJ for a 1/2 hour and when I spin shellac I've had quite a few collectors come to me and tell me that the song has never sounded better to them. Call 'em vinyl or flexi 78s, they won't mind- The sound just jumps off them 10-inchers! Add to that the inherent quietness of a vinyl rekkid and it just don't get no better Smile

As for shellac, I prefer to play Canadian pressings! From what I gather (talkin' post-war here), back in the 50s Great Britain had a monopoly on shellac production (it's bug juice!) and would discount it to subjects of the realm; UK producers would use more of the costly shellac and less clay fillers and such, making for a quieter rekkid. The reduction in surface noise is usually quite apparent from their U.S. counterparts. Syd Nathan's Federal/King/Deluxe imprints seem to be the worst offenders as well as many of the bargain labels.

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 08, 2014 - 02:21 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

the 78s i'm talking about you can bend them like you can bend a 12 inch thin rca lp.

CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 08, 2014 - 07:20 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

wurlitzer1450 wrote:
the 78s i'm talking about you can bend them like you can bend a 12 inch thin rca lp.

I have a lot of WLP 78s that are like this. Pressed on very thin vinyl. Most are RCA Victor and Mercury label. Sound quality is excellent.

stephenjayeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 09, 2014 - 09:24 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

CactusCowboy wrote:
wurlitzer1450 wrote:

I have a lot of WLP 78s that are like this. Pressed on very thin vinyl. Most are RCA Victor and Mercury label. Sound quality is excellent.

Yes, they do sound great. Most of my RCA vinyls (lol) are promo splits, often w/ odd couplings.

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 09, 2014 - 07:06 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

i don't usually have many 78s sitting around. most of the time when find large collections of them i just glance over them and pull the ones in the newer sleeves because they will be the ones made in the last ten years of production and will contain some R&R and R&B. i don't bother taking the pop, big band, and country because i've not had much success selling them except for a few select artists. quite frankly they're a waste of time to look thru them for the few that i could sell. i "lost" my collection of them many years ago when i left them in one of the record shops i sold. i remember selling Tommy Sands, the Robins, Terry Fell, and the Roy Rogers and Dale evens green vinyl xmas ones. i can't find any reference to these "flexis" on the internet, the next time i see some i'll buy them and we'll start a thread here and document them. they are quite common except for the R&R and R&B ones.

AudioGasoline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2014 - 03:34 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I've got a few of those, IIRC all the ones I have are white label promos. RCA Victor and London for sure, maybe Coral and Decca too? I'll have to look. I've also got a handful of Royale titles pressed on thin flexible plastic (doesn't look like standard vinyl), but those are 10" 33 rpm (early 50's).

I sold this 1946 78 rpm red vinyl set last year, but it was 12" and some kind of special pressing:

Here's a copy of that RR christmas disc you mentioned:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roy-Rogers-Dale-Evans-Christmas-on-the-Plains-RCA-Victor-DJ-788-WLP-Green-Vinyl-/380830747283?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item58ab480a93

Audio Gasoline: High Performance Turntable Fuel

AudioGasoline
Post subject: Re: flexi 78s  PostPosted: Feb 12, 2014 - 03:49 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

wurlitzer1450 wrote:
i was searching for info on the late 50s flexi 78s to send to someone and couldn't find anything. are they calling them by another name now?

When you say "flexi", I think of those cheapo Eva-Tone Soundsheet flexidiscs. But you're describing thin flexible vinyl, yes? If you're using "flexi" as a search term, it be throwing off the search engines too. (just a guess)

Audio Gasoline: High Performance Turntable Fuel

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: flexi 78s  PostPosted: Feb 12, 2014 - 10:46 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

what term should i use AG ? there should be something on the in about them, they're certainly unusual and i have had lots of them.

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: flexi 78s  PostPosted: Feb 12, 2014 - 10:50 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

AudioGasoline wrote:
I've got a few of those, IIRC all the ones I have are white label promos. RCA Victor and London for sure, maybe Coral and Decca too? I'll have to look. I've also got a handful of Royale titles pressed on thin flexible plastic (doesn't look like standard vinyl), but those are 10" 33 rpm (early 50's).

I sold this 1946 78 rpm red vinyl set last year, but it was 12" and some kind of special pressing:

Here's a copy of that RR christmas disc you mentioned:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roy-Rogers-Dale-Evans-Christmas-on-the-Plains-RCA-Victor-DJ-788-WLP-Green-Vinyl-/380830747283?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item58ab480a93

that "atomic bomb" set is quite unusual, i have a similar set up for auction this month. as for the green vinyl 78 mine were totally different, they were translucent green and had holly and green and red decorations on the label. i remember selling them to my old friend Keith Colby who is gone now.

Jump to: