The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: how to double your $ buying and selling jukeboxes  PostPosted: Feb 26, 2014 - 10:34 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

it was the very early 1960s and i was at my wife's aunt and uncles place cutting down some big trees for them that were in danger of falling on their house. i had this new craftsman chain saw. during a lunch break my wife's cousin told me he had a box of records i could look at. back then i would only look at records if someone pushed them under my nose. most of my records had been purchased at the record shop or from the little wire baskets of "cut outs" that were a fixture at a local Rexall drug store. i remember flipping thru the fairly good size box of 45s and one caught my eye -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa68al97dC4
i wasn't familiar with it but back then i simply bought everything that had any hint of being R&B, RAB, or some kind of novelty.

when i tried to buy the 45 from sandy's cousin he said it wasn't for sale, i would have to buy this old juke box to get the record. he wanted 5 dollars for the jukebox which included the box of records with the one 45 i really wanted. he took me to a little shed to show me the juke box, a Wurlitzer 1015. i really didn't want the jukebox, nobody wanted those old things in 1960, he helped me load the juke box into my truck and off i went after finishing the tree job.

fast forward to about 1966, i was a fairly well know drag racer and lots of people would come to my garage and to the parties my wife and i would put on. back then ideas were shared [some of them anyway ha ha] by some like me. there was a group of guys from out of town i didn't really know that had been invited to my garage by a mutual friend and one of them spotted the 1015 covered up in the back of my garage. he asked if i wanted to sell it, his parents were looking for one just like this. i told him no, i wouldn't sell it but i would give it to him. he was very polite and said oh no, i can't just take it. he then asked how much i paid for it and i told him 5 dollars [well i kinda did] and he pulled out ten dollars and handed it to me.

and so little rock and rollers, this is how you double your money buying and selling jukeboxes without really trying. i have a color movie of the 1015 in our home about 1962 or so. it even had the factory 45 RPM conversion kit installed.

Reply with quote Back to top
Heidler
Post subject: how to double your $  PostPosted: Feb 27, 2014 - 01:00 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

wurlitzer1450.

That's a GREAT story!

Out here, ' restored ' juke boxes ( of any and all types ) have always been very much sought after, and there are several outfits that hunt them down, spruce them up, and re-sell them.

Although I already have one ( plays 78s ) I've got my eye on an AMI that's coming up for sale in Palmdale ( so I've been told )

Hope I might own it by the time you come out.

Again, wonderful tales from all of those yesterdays we knew ( and remember )

Keep it up!

H

geo58000Offline
Post subject: RE: how to double your $  PostPosted: Feb 27, 2014 - 06:23 PM
Level 5
Level 5

That 1015 is one nice looking juke.
Regrets?

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: RE: how to double your $  PostPosted: Feb 27, 2014 - 10:24 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

it's all hind sight, you have to remember no one wanted those big old heavy jukeboxes back then. boxes of picture sleeves got hauled to the dump, coke and concert posters were torn down and trashed or used for insulation in buildings, pinballs, slots, records, speakers, etc were dumped whenever a juker decided to "clean house" the memories i have of being in buildings crammed full of stuff that would make me rich today are just that -- memories. i was always a "scrounger", ha ha, still am. i never had much money back in those days [late 50s, early 60s] but i had 2 other things that were almost as good. i had one cousin that was a juker and another cousin that owned the only trash route in a city of about 2000 people. they both would give me something really neat every time i visited them. back then i would've traded both cousins for one that was a night watchman in a chrome plating factory. Laughing

Jump to: