The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
brioma33Offline
Post subject: Capitol records purple label or reissue rainbow?  PostPosted: Mar 25, 2014 - 05:54 AM
Level 4
Level 4

In the early 80's I bought a number of Beatles albums strictly for the purpose of saving. I have never opened them and wanted to know if there is any way to determine what label they have. They were bought around the time when the reissued rainbow label came out, but they could still be a purple label. The records were not all bought at the same time or at the same location. I do not want to open any of them (I have playing copies of all of the records) just curious to know if there is any way to identify the difference from the covers.

Brian

Reply with quote Back to top
annaloogOffline
Post subject: RE: Capitol records purple label or reissue rainbow?  PostPosted: Mar 25, 2014 - 06:55 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Unless you have X-ray vision, you can't determine the label design by looking at the unopened cover.

brioma33Offline
Post subject: RE: Capitol records purple label or reissue rainbow?  PostPosted: Mar 25, 2014 - 08:32 AM
Level 4
Level 4

Thanks annaloog, I was kind-a hoping there was some kind of marking on the cover that might be an indicator. I was afraid this might be the answer I was gonna get.

Brian

namralosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 25, 2014 - 01:52 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Abbey Road and Hey Jude changed catalog prefixes (to SJ-) during the rainbow period. If you have an SJ- copy, it has the rainbow label.

annaloogOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Capitol records purple label or reissue rainbow?  PostPosted: Mar 25, 2014 - 11:12 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

annaloog wrote:
Unless you have X-ray vision, you can't determine the label design by looking at the unopened cover.
FTM, you can't determine whether the record inside is new, let alone is a mate to the cover. I recall buying a sealed cutout copy of a Box Tops album way back in the early 1970s, and opening it to find a used, worn and badly scratched LP ... I decided it wasn't worth going back to Woolworth's to get my 47c back.

Jump to: