The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
wand143Offline
Post subject: $1800 For THIS?!?!?  PostPosted: Apr 21, 2014 - 05:23 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

So I was in a small-town antique mall Saturday and happened to be strolling by one of the dealer booths. In the booth was a glass display case with a few choice collectables, but the one that stood out was one 45. It was "Boy Crazy" by Lucy Lynn Grasso - normally, a dealer wouldn't think twice about this record, but this clown practically put it on a satin pillow and emphasized its value with a big honking sign: 'ESTIMATED VALUE - $2000 - $3000" and had a copy of the Osborn guide value to back it up. The price was "$1800 FIRM" and that was also emphasized considering this dealer also had 15% off everything over $10. It was in a sleeve so I had NO idea what its condition was, and a quick peak on Popsike showed only one sale in 2010 at $185 (or something like that). So...what's the scoop here? What justified the initial "value" of this record in the first place and has it really tanked since? I'd love to go back and tell the guy he's chock full o' nuts but I'd rather have expert advice to back me up.

Reply with quote Back to top
mackdaddygOffline
Post subject: RE: $1800 For THIS?!?!?  PostPosted: Apr 21, 2014 - 07:43 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Maybe after it sits there for five years, the seller will get a clue that they should lower the price. That's been my usual experience with antique mall dealers.

j_loopOffline
Post subject: RE: $1800 For THIS?!?!?  PostPosted: Apr 22, 2014 - 03:32 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

You mean Lucy Ann Grassi & Del Aires?
Sorry, no help on value.

j_loopOffline
Post subject: RE: $1800 For THIS?!?!?  PostPosted: Apr 22, 2014 - 03:32 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Hit the back button & double posted

ShadySamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 22, 2014 - 08:23 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

amazing....
I encounter similar clueless asswipes like that more than decent/friendly dealers too.

aravelOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 23, 2014 - 10:26 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

::: You should go back and tell him! Surprised

There's a very common practice here in Mexico, don't know why: sell used records and trash-alike books together in the same store, so books are cheap, and records are very expensive. As I asked, last month or so, for a Madonna's 12" EP (Angel/Into The Groove) the guy said: $350 MEX (that's $27 USD), and I was: this is not an import record, only has 2 songs and it has a beaten sleeve! how come 350?"--that's the collector's item price, those records are no longer made..." I just smiled, left the record there.

Last weekend, I found this same Madonna record, in an all music-no books store: $65 MEX (5 USD). I didn't buy it, because I've already spent my wife's authorised budget for music each weekend, but told the owner to keep it up for me: "no problem, I have 4 of that one" and he showed me 4 copies of that Madonna 12" on my way out...now that's how to run a store: if you want to sell, cooperate with the buyer. If you want big bucks selling books and some vinyl records you got for free, you're in the wrong place.

gypsyeyes wrote:

Now.......I know that aravel said that is an older photo of himself.
But let me tell ya, to me he looks pretty hot.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
vinylvillela
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 23, 2014 - 04:29 PM
Level 5
Level 5

support actual record stores.

it matters.

wand143Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 24, 2014 - 05:08 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Exactly - the best ones are run by people who actually APPRECIATE music, understand that record price guides are just that - A GUIDE - and may or may not be collectors themselves (one owner claims not to be, but I'm sure he has a nice little nest egg set aside for retirement...at least his prices are fair and he has high overturn). These "collectables" dealers are a real pain in our hobby.

vinylvillela
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 29, 2014 - 07:31 PM
Level 5
Level 5

collectors have made it more expensive for the young new vinylheads.

pas bon, imho.

wand143Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 08, 2014 - 05:51 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Maybe, but I've been at this thing for 30+ years now and, if anything, I've seen values DROP on certain records and genres - not many people under 50 would give much for doo-wop these days and don't get me started on the Elvis records - got one dealer friend who can't give the singles away (even the 1955 re-releases of the Sun stuff) at 50 cents each.

Jump to: