The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
philiprollettOffline
Post subject: Views on Pet Sounds Duophonic Version  PostPosted: Apr 26, 2014 - 11:13 AM
Level 2
Level 2

Hello,

I've been trying to get a copy of Pet Sounds on vinyl for years now, but I could never afford the original Mono Vinyl release. I found it in my local record store on Duophonic ( American Release) for not a bad price ( or i thought so anyway). At the time i wasn't too sure what Duophnic was but after doing some research I found out.... I quite like the sound of the record. What does everyone else think about it?

Thanks

Reply with quote Back to top
annaloogOffline
Post subject: RE: Views on Pet Sounds Duophonic Version  PostPosted: Apr 26, 2014 - 12:17 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Duophonic is US Capitol's trademark name for rechannelled (i.e. fake) stereo, accomplished by splitting the mono source through band-pass filters and passing the lower frequencies to one of the two stereo channels, and the higher frequencies to the other. While the listener does perceive a difference in sound between the two channels, the experience is not the same as listening to a 'real' stereo recording.

CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: RE: Views on Pet Sounds Duophonic Version  PostPosted: Apr 26, 2014 - 05:35 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Some of the worst sounding LPs I own are Capitol's Duophonic. I have a beat up Duophonic "Pet Sounds" so it's a loser on two counts: bad fake stereo and lousy condition. OTOH, I have a 2001 CD reissue of Pet Sounds which has both Mono and Stereo remastered versions of the album, and it is excellent. So you might look for this CD if you care more for the music than having an original LP release.

j_loopOffline
Post subject: RE: Views on Pet Sounds Duophonic Version  PostPosted: Apr 27, 2014 - 11:48 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

If you're amp has a mono/stereo button, you might try putting it in mono mode and see if you like it any better. Some people say it helps for some of those "electronically reprocessed" albums.

throbbingpuppyOffline
Post subject: RE: Views on Pet Sounds Duophonic Version  PostPosted: Apr 27, 2014 - 12:52 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

There is a green label version that is a monophonic copy that is a little cheaper and has decent sound see if you can locate that somewhere. I have this copy and the original CDN mono and I think it compares well. I have a duophonic copy as well and I think it sounds pretty good to my ears, but certainly the mono is the one to find.

Jump to: