The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: Janos Starker - Bach Suites For Unaccompanied Cello  PostPosted: May 19, 2014 - 09:51 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

It's been a while since I've posted in this forum, but this entry certainly qualifies. Known as a "Holy Grail" for Classical collectors, I was shocked to find this box set in a record store, for a "steal me" price. Some minor damage to the box but the three LPs are in pristine NM condition. Popsike shows this selling in the $300-$800 range. I'll give it a spin and probably just keep it.

LPs-may18-001a.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  49.96 KB
 Viewed:  4359 Time(s)

LPs-may18-001a.jpg

Reply with quote Back to top
j_loopOffline
Post subject: RE: Janos Starker - Bach Suites For Unaccompanied Cello  PostPosted: May 21, 2014 - 11:33 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Definitely. I have 2 different performances of this by Starker on cd, still waiting for this (any) record copy to pop up, but alas....

On a side note, when I run into a new pair of speakers this is one of the first things I play on them.

DaveyTheWaxManOffline
Post subject: RE: Janos Starker - Bach Suites For Unaccompanied Cello  PostPosted: May 29, 2014 - 08:44 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Now I'm intrigued...this guy must be the cat's pajamas....

LoneStarStompOffline
Post subject: RE: Janos Starker - Bach Suites For Unaccompanied Cello  PostPosted: May 31, 2014 - 08:19 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Found a copy of one of his lps in a thrift shop down in the mountains here and Texas and really like it. I've never seen this box, but always look when I see classical and instrument specific classical box sets. That cover...

vinyl1Offline
Post subject: RE: Janos Starker - Bach Suites For Unaccompanied Cello  PostPosted: May 31, 2014 - 05:09 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

The value of this set depends a lot on what pressing it is. Collectors are mad about the gold label promo copies, which usually sell for over $1000. The run-of the mill RFR dark-maroon copies are usually in the $400-600 range, but can go for more. Then there are the light-maroon oval-label copies that usually have a mixture of RFR and M pressings, which are worth about $250-400.

I have an oval-label copy that I bought for $25 at an audiophile flea market. Two out of the three records are RFR - one like it just sold on eBay for $374. I also have a mono copy, an early pressing which is quite good-sounding. You don't really need stereo for a solo cello.

CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: RE: Janos Starker - Bach Suites For Unaccompanied Cello  PostPosted: Jun 01, 2014 - 09:56 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Thanks for the input vinyl1. Looks like I've got the "RFR" dark maroon label pressings, all three records. I've been super busy lately. I hope to get a couple hours to relax and give these discs a spin.

ChadFromCanadaOffline
Post subject: RE: Janos Starker - Bach Suites For Unaccompanied Cello  PostPosted: Jun 14, 2014 - 02:32 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

That's great. I'm not big into classical but I still remember this set just from browsing ebay over the years.

vinylhoundOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 01, 2014 - 10:48 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Great find, but if wanted to listen to a Cellist I would listen to Mstislav Rostropovich 1st.

Funny, the only great finds I have anymore are in the classical arena. Not that I am complaining.

Jump to: