The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
billsanOffline
Post subject: Do vinyl (new bands)made today gives the analog warmth sound  PostPosted: May 22, 2014 - 10:23 PM
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to vinyl collection and just put together my 1st Hi-fi system.
Below are basic description of my gear;

Pro-ject Debut Carbon TT
Pro-ject tube phono preamp
Meixing Mingda integrated tube amp MC-34A
Kef 300Q bookshelves speaker

My focus of my set up is to have good analog sounding. I'm starting to collect my vinyl records now but i hv one big question. Do vinyl records made today (album by later bands) give that analog warmth which vintage vinyl records do?

Im sure in the past before the existence of digital format, music was pressed to vinyl in analog format. Since we are living in a digital world now, does that mean vinyl made today is sourced from digital format? Does that mean that i only get full analog from vintage records before the arrival of digital format?

Hope someone can teach me abit more about vinyl collection.
Cheers!

William Kok

Reply with quote Back to top
mackdaddygOffline
Post subject: RE: Do vinyl (new bands)made today gives the analog warmth s  PostPosted: May 23, 2014 - 07:42 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

That's a good question, and similar to something I've wondered for a while as well.

Are new records made from the same masters as cd's? In other words, if you buy a new record, are you basically getting the cd sound on a record?

j_loopOffline
Post subject: Re: Do vinyl (new bands)made today gives the analog warmth s  PostPosted: May 23, 2014 - 12:20 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

billsan wrote:
does that mean vinyl made today is sourced from digital format?

Most studios today record on computers (ProTools) so the source is almost always going to be digital. I don't know enough about the industry to speak about actually cutting/pressing a record though.
I would guess new music and newly remastered music probably enters the digital realm at some point in the chain. There are exceptions of course and they are usually the "audiophile" pressings and will usually boldly advertise if they're all analog.

Remember though, that the record is only one link in the chain. You may play a completely digital-sourced record, but your cartridge, preamp and amp can/will add some of that analog warmth you're looking for.

If I'm wrong I'm sure someone here will correct me....

My question has always been about when studios went from analog tape to digital tape and if most studios did use digital tape? And is digital tape considered analog? (seemingly obtuse question, I know...) I don't mean to thread-jack, but I do feel it's still on topic.

j_loopOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Do vinyl (new bands)made today gives the analog warm  PostPosted: May 23, 2014 - 12:20 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

...and Welcome to The Guild!

B_big.Offline
6 Post subject: A wide variety of options . . .  PostPosted: May 24, 2014 - 04:30 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( .
      First of all, Welcome to the 'Guild', you've chosen the right place to get consolidated knowledge about vinyl records and their collecting.

Your concern about digital mastering of new produced vinyl records is a bit too tricky to answer generally! There are a lot of absolute excellent new issues, and as already stated here, some of them are completely analogue productions. This is mostly advertised on the cover with stickers on the shrink wrap.

I have to confess, I have bought hundreds of contemporary vinyl record albums and I don't really care much if they're real analogue productions or not. The majority of nowadays vinyl records do sound great, no matter what kind of mastering has been used.

The absolutely best sounding contemporary vinyl records are produced in Japan. Among many companies, I would love to encourage you to try one of the Venus label productions. I have several of their jazz albums and they all have this absolutely brilliant and totally detailed sound definition.

And as J_loop already mentioned, the equipment is at least as important as the production of the vinyl recordings. I don't know your set, especially your turntable. I have two different tts and both of them are fantastic in reproducing top notch sound. Of course they do have appropriate cartridges - one of the major link in the chain sound reproduction, the next important are the speakers. If you're interested in my "toys" here they are.

Don't forget, the most important criteria in judging the quality of sound are your ears, nothing else!!

I will stop right here, this could easily develop into an endless topic. I hope to hear more from you - keep on posting, ask questions and contribute your experiences.

the fine art of record cover & sleeve & more
berlin/germany/europe/planet earth/milky way/universe

GraemeOffline
Post subject: RE: A wide variety of options . . .  PostPosted: May 24, 2014 - 06:06 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

The so-called "warmth" is mainly due to the limitations of the disc cutting and pressing process. How the original recordings were made (i.e., all-analogue, digital or a mixture of both) has only a small bearing on the quality of the finished record.

Prior to the availability of cheap digital reproduction kit (the CD, etc.) there were plenty of records that were digitally recorded and/or mastered before final release on vinyl and nobody noticed Smile .

billsanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 25, 2014 - 08:20 PM
Level 1
Level 1

Like what you guys said regarding some audiophile artist still do analogue recordings. I found an article abt Foo fighters doing their album in analogue.

I feel like the digital age is inevitable but that doesn't mean the worst has come. I thk as long there is people who truly appreciate music (audiophile), we will always find a way to enjoy music how we wanted it to be. I also heard that remastered records nowadays is actually not bad.

I hope i get to learn more from you guys as i start my journey in Vinyl!
Thanks!

Rafter242Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 26, 2014 - 02:14 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I like that nobody brings up the fact that sound waves are encoded to digital when you hear them regardless of source.
After a sound wave hits your ear, it is encoded into discreet, electronic pulses that are then sent to the brain.

j_loopOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 26, 2014 - 11:54 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Wouldn't the electric pulses have to be using the binary system to be considered digital?

AudioGasoline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 26, 2014 - 12:13 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Nerve impulses are considered binary: if the nerve fires it's a 1, if it doesn't it's a 0.

I think this may be just a tad beyond the scope of the OP's question, though. Smile

Jump to: