The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
DaveyTheWaxManOffline
Post subject: Large Krautrock stash found...  PostPosted: May 29, 2014 - 08:11 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Ahoy, Neal & Crew;

So...there are two bricks-and-mortar record stores back in town, and doing R O A R I N G trade...where are they finding these vast troves that they're buying up?! Anyway, one of them has in the last week come into over 1000 LPs, and I was going through them yesterday...picked up Ralf & Florian, plus the Vertigo gatefold which combines Kraftwerk I and Kraftwerk II...

Thing is, there is WAY more there: Nektar, Can, Froese, T. Dream, Cluster (as well as loads of Eno, Tubeway Army, even Visage rarities and suchlike), and more I don't even recognize! Do I need to execute a lightning-fast mission to snag these??

I will say...I've never approached collecting as an "investment." Nevertheless, I have begun to cull some things and really begin to shore up my '60s holdings...esp Bee Gees, Hollies, garage stuff, early Fleetwood Mac, etc., you get the picture. I do have a very specific subcollection I could trade this guy for these, and it'd be worth his time--few others in Shreveport are gonna want a Krautrock stash........

Reply with quote Back to top
SID
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 29, 2014 - 10:28 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Such collections exist even in the south. I'd grab them if you can. What's the condition of the stuff ? Decent prices ?

j_loopOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 29, 2014 - 11:36 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Can, (early)Kraftwerk and the like don't pop up often in my experience. I'd be all over 'em like white on rice, on a paper plate, with a glass of milk in a blizzard.....if the price is right.
Great music and could be a good investment. I'd be real excited about the stuff I've (you've) never heard of...jealousy.

DaveyTheWaxManOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 29, 2014 - 11:51 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Thanks, fellas! I'll tell you about this guy--although he does consult Amazon (!!!!) for every disc you bring up to the counter, he's given me some smokin' deals...for example: JH Are You Experienced (first German press, Polydor), for $5....he gave me the Ralf & Florian for $5 because there was some toning spots on the jacket and because the wax had some superficial scuffs....big deal, eh? The stuff is question is clean, and the jackets are mostly gorgeous, laminated specimens that just SCREAM European-press. Altogether beautiful, I must say. He gave me the Kraftwerk double for $20, which I didn't balk at for a second. Yeah, I'd be willing to get the Cluster etc. never having heard them, just for the curiosity, and Nektar I've heard of through you guys here.....He even had Neu! for pity's sake....

I think I'm goin' back...can you imagine the tale of woe if I DO wait to go back and the stuff's cleaned out?!?!??!?!

SID
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 29, 2014 - 01:51 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Grab the Vertigo Swirls as they are rare and usually are 1st presses. If you don't want to keep them and want to make some money,give me a holler. I collect Vertigo swirls. Was that Kraftwerk a swirl ?

DaveyTheWaxManOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 29, 2014 - 02:29 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

1) Ralf & Florian was a Vertigo, BUT Phonogram press: labels were the subsequent Roger Dean-designed ones, with a small swirl inset to the design.
2) gatefold 2-LP was the same label design: Roger Dean spaceship illustration, with small inset swirls (making it a 1973 press instead of 1972, which had large Vertigo swirls).....

jmillsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 29, 2014 - 04:18 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Where's Metronome when you need him? Coincidentally, my local spot got in some Krautrock pieces a few weeks ago - they turn up in the Chicago suburbs as often as they do in the south, I'll bet. They had Frumpy's first album up for $150, but I picked up Thirsty Moon's s/t album for $20. I know nothing about this type of music, but I saw it was on the green Brain label and remembered Metronome saying he was trying to run the label, so I bought it based on that and the cover art. Supposed to be a good one, although it's still sitting unlistened with my other recent acquisitions.

DaveyTheWaxManOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 30, 2014 - 08:36 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Hmmmm. Well, I'm off to back up there when they open. Gonna grab as much as I can. Will report scores/findings.

j_loopOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 30, 2014 - 12:14 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Good Luck! I'm really excited for you. Great music at great prices is such a rare beauty...

SID
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 30, 2014 - 12:21 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Viel Gluck Sir !

Jump to: