The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
hartwiseOffline
Post subject: Dave Brubeck Trio Fantasy 3-2 10" LP  PostPosted: Jun 14, 2014 - 07:07 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I just purchased a large jazz collection and have a question about a Brubeck LP. This is a 10" LP Fantasy 3-2 Distinctive Rhythm Instrumentals by The Dave Brubeck Trio. I understand that the first pressings are on Red or Green vinyl. This one is on black vinyl but the odd thing is that it doesn't have a true cardboard cover like most 10" LPs that I have. This one is in like a manilla envelope with the cover slick glued on. The back of the envelope has an article about the Trio and tracks for Fantasy LPs 3-1, 3-2 and 3-3. Other pics online of this LP seem to be normal covers. Was this the reissue from a few years later? And why did they release it in an envelope? Very good record but I'm curious about the cover.

Reply with quote Back to top
rooster
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 15, 2014 - 08:51 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

hey Hart,

great see an actual question in the jazz threads.

If I'm not mistaken, all of those tracks were originally issued as 78's around 1949 or 1950. If your copy is on black vinyl, it's most likely a slighter later issue. while I don't currently own a copy of that LP, I'm Pretty sure I've seen examples on blue. The earlier pressings would be on a Gold on Maroon label. later ones will be Gold on Red. In any case, it doesn't date from later than 1955, as that's when Fantasy stopped pressing 10"ers. As to the cover, I can't help on that score. I've never seen a cover like you describe. That LP was released early in Fantasy's album catalog and maybe they were experimenting with alternative cover styles.

Speculation is fun!

It's possible that someone bought the LP, the cover got wrecked, but they were able to save the slick, and they made their own cover at home. How professional does the cove look? Got a pic?

rooster

hartwiseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 15, 2014 - 10:07 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Thanks for the info Rooster. The front cover slick certainly looks professionally done but the back makes me think you might be right about this being a home made cover. The labels are maroon but they do have the F-5056 and F-5078 numbers on them. Here are some pics.

Brubeck front.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  45.55 KB
 Viewed:  760 Time(s)

Brubeck front.jpg

Brubeck back.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  38.73 KB
 Viewed:  760 Time(s)

Brubeck back.jpg

hartwiseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 15, 2014 - 10:08 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

And the labels.

Brubeck label 1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  33.34 KB
 Viewed:  753 Time(s)

Brubeck label 1.jpg

Brubeck label 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  34.51 KB
 Viewed:  753 Time(s)

Brubeck label 2.jpg

j_loopOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 15, 2014 - 11:41 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

rooster wrote:
Speculation is fun!

Yes it is:
Given as a promo?

How come I didn't know Tjader backed Brubeck? About this I must research further.

rooster
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 15, 2014 - 11:54 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

The article on the back appears to be what was on the back of the LP cover. The other part listing the other titles in the Brubeck catalog is new (to me) and does not appear on the original back cover. Perhaps it's some sort of promo or giveaway or even a mail order thing. I believe all of the promo Fantasy LP's from that period (that I have or have seen), have been rubber stamped, but you never know what might have gone on in the early 1950's in record promotion. All in all, a very cool piece. I approve. Cool Laughing

rooster

hartwiseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 17, 2014 - 09:46 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Here's a scan of the titles sticker on the back cover. As you can see it lists the Fantasy 78s as well as the LPs. Would the 78s #513-516 possibly be on LP 3-4? I'm glad to know the article is the same as on the regular LP release. Thanks Rooster. An interesting piece for sure!

Brubeck titles.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  36.13 KB
 Viewed:  434 Time(s)

Brubeck titles.jpg

rooster
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 17, 2014 - 07:26 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

hartwise wrote:
Would the 78s #513-516 possibly be on LP 3-4?

Indeed. With the exception of "Perfidia", those are the titles on "3-4".

rooster

rooster
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 17, 2014 - 11:38 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Upon further reflection, i do believe "Perfidia" was also included on LP 3-4

rooster

pmccabeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 14, 2014 - 03:17 PM
Level 4
Level 4

Tjader got his start on Brubeck's first few releases, and he played his ass off.

Jump to: