The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BenCovingtonOffline
Post subject: Where is everybody?  PostPosted: Jun 15, 2014 - 03:33 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Or has there been a mass exodus to Facebook for blues/R&B discussions?

The days of topic discussion forums seem to be a thing of the past.

C'est la vie.

Byeee............

Reply with quote Back to top
mackdaddygOffline
Post subject: RE: Where is everybody?  PostPosted: Jun 15, 2014 - 08:11 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I've also noticed as of late that people aren't posting at the RCG as much as in the past.

Hoping it's just a temporary dry spell.

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: RE: Where is everybody?  PostPosted: Jun 15, 2014 - 08:56 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

i've noticed the same thing. it's up to the "hardcore" group here to think of some topics that would motivate people. my flickr is down so i can't post any pics.

GraemeOffline
Post subject: RE: Where is everybody?  PostPosted: Jun 16, 2014 - 02:11 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

I belong to quite a few forums and moderate several of them. I see this drop in participation right across the board.

Normally, when posts start to fall off, I put it down to the natural life cycle of a forum, but this can't be true for all of them at the same time. I suspect that BenCovington has hit the nail on the head and social media sites are taking people away from forums such as this one.

Whether this is a permanent trend remains to be seen, but I rather think it might be.

CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: RE: Where is everybody?  PostPosted: Jun 16, 2014 - 10:14 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Fifteen years ago email mailing lists were popular. Then came forums such as this and others. Now, as I see it, there is indeed a "mass exodus to Facebook."

kimzterOffline
Post subject: RE: Where is everybody?  PostPosted: Jun 16, 2014 - 09:50 PM
Level 3
Level 3

i joined this forum a while ago and actually log in and read all the new posts each day that I am home. I haven't said much because quite honestly I am pretty sure everyone here knows more than me Smile .
I have never been to any facebook page about records or music and I do have the facebook lol . My favorite music is Blues, but most of what I own was purchased in the early 80's so there aren't any really rare or first issues in the stack.
Just wanted you guys to know that there is at least one person paying attention.

BenCovingtonOffline
Post subject: RE: Where is everybody?  PostPosted: Jun 17, 2014 - 05:32 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Blues seems to be happening over at Facebook's Real Blues Forum, but " this ain't no place for me" (to quote a Jim Jackson song).

I note the Blues-L - the first blues/R&B and related discussion list/forum - is a mere shell of its former self. Little more than umpteen daily entries of Eric's Blues Dates and dj events.

I'm trying out the blues/R&B section of this http://talk-music.proboards.com/ which seems to be trying to be all things to all music genres and lacking in direction and focus. I appear to be one of a handful who contribute to the blues discussions. In my short time there I appear to have clocked up 700 posts, with minor feedback/response...C'est la vie.

scotapellOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Where is everybody?  PostPosted: Jun 21, 2014 - 09:54 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

CactusCowboy wrote:
. Now, as I see it, there is indeed a "mass exodus to Facebook."

Seems to be. I never understood the appeal.
I've been trying to get back to the forum now and again but haven't really been able to get back into the groove. Not really sure why.
I seem to have a growing disdain for technology. Probably linked to the obsession w/ facebook, twitter, instagram, snapchat etc. etc. etc.

CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Where is everybody?  PostPosted: Jun 21, 2014 - 11:00 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

scotapell wrote:
CactusCowboy wrote:
. Now, as I see it, there is indeed a "mass exodus to Facebook."

Seems to be. I never understood the appeal.
I've been trying to get back to the forum now and again but haven't really been able to get back into the groove. Not really sure why.
I seem to have a growing disdain for technology. Probably linked to the obsession w/ facebook, twitter, instagram, snapchat etc. etc. etc.

Facebook has its appeal, but has an ephemeral nature to it with threads coming and going quickly. This forum is nice in that it's something of an archive. For example, one can easily peruse the "Shady's Ladies" gallery of photos at any time.

AudioGasoline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 21, 2014 - 12:59 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Have you noticed that the forums always seem to have a lot of guests, though? (bottom of main page: "Registered/Hidden/Guests") Hard to tell if they're members who aren't signed-in or just visitors following along. Either way, there always seems to be a lot more Readers around the boards than Writers.

kimzter wrote:
I haven't said much because quite honestly I am pretty sure everyone here knows more than me.

I think this is fairly telling, and I've heard similar sentiments from other social media friends that I've recommend the RCG to. A lot of folks feel intimidated by the sheer volume of information some members possess, they think they've got nothing to add to the conversation. I try to convince them that nobody knows everything, and there shouldn't be anything intimidating about discussing your hobby with knowledgeable people. My observation is, most folks around here love sharing information.

Jump to: