The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
RidinTheWind
Post subject: How Times Have Changed  PostPosted: Jun 19, 2014 - 03:57 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I was in the thrift store today, and what did I see but a pregnant girl who couldn't have been more than 12.

That is so sad!

Reply with quote Back to top
gbfrank
Post subject: RE: How Times Have Changed  PostPosted: Jun 19, 2014 - 09:32 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Hopefully, this was something that you, or I, or any of us, will not see often. It is very sad, but let's assume that this situation, at such a young age,
is not indicative of any developing norm.

wand143Offline
Post subject: RE: How Times Have Changed  PostPosted: Jun 28, 2014 - 07:04 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I used to do credit applications for in-store financing and the customer in the same situation who stands out in my mind was the 21-year-old mother of five whose oldest kid was EIGHT. Do the math...
In some cultures, it's considered "normal" and a rite of adulthood to have a baby at an early age. Either it's just a by-product of "doing it" or the girl intentionally gets pregnant so she can have "somebody to love". I've heard a lot of different interpretations of why this is so, and for the longest time it wasn't such a big deal because "the government will pay you for having kids", or so they thought. The state's set welfare rate in the 80's was $463 / month for one child, $546 / month for two children, and so on up the line. Of course, you had to make rent and whatever utilities out of this money (food stamps provided food and formula, of course) but it wasn't unusual for people to cash an entire welfare check as a down-payment on furniture or a TV or whatever. As far as they were concerned, the kid was just a source of income. Fortunately, the tide has turned since then and our local teen pregnancy rates (THE highest in the nation, for a while) has considerably dropped.

RidinTheWind
Post subject: RE: How Times Have Changed  PostPosted: Jun 30, 2014 - 03:23 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Quote:
I used to do credit applications for in-store financing and the customer in the same situation who stands out in my mind was the 21-year-old mother of five whose oldest kid was EIGHT. Do the math...

That wasn't Jerry Lee Lewis' ex, was it?
Laughing

LoneStarStompOffline
Post subject: RE: How Times Have Changed  PostPosted: Jul 01, 2014 - 08:59 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

There was a day when the family was shamed and that girl would not have been out and about. 12 year old pregnancies aren't new, though it appears to be happening more. The social stigma once attached to them is what has changed.

The CDC/NCHS has an interesting graph showing birth rates for 15 to 19 year olds with data going back to the 1940s. It does not take into account today's growing population of course, but interesting none the less.

ShadySamOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: How Times Have Changed  PostPosted: Jul 01, 2014 - 08:27 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

LoneStarStomp wrote:
12 year old pregnancies aren't new, though it appears to be happening more. The social stigma once attached to them is what has changed...

yea... absolutely.
And Big Brother has it all covered? Teens...

ShadySamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 01, 2014 - 08:36 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Utopian society, all taken care of!!

gbfrank
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 01, 2014 - 10:24 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Ain't progress grand? Rolling Eyes

CaptainVagueOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 02, 2014 - 09:58 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I thought I heard somebody say that handing out free condoms to 3rd graders was going to make this sort of thing go away.

"When he did show up we had a hard time finding something for him to do. Then one day he shows up and puts that great slide on "No Expectations". That was the last contribution I think Brian ever made." - Mick Jagger

RidinTheWind
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 02, 2014 - 03:27 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

CaptainVague wrote:
I thought I heard somebody say that handing out free condoms to 3rd graders was going to make this sort of thing go away.

Kiddie condoms!!?? I guess they'd be in the shape of Flintstone characters and come in Barney or Fred sizes. Laughing

Jump to: