The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
PetarjovanicOffline
Post subject: excessive static issues  PostPosted: Jun 20, 2014 - 04:22 AM
Level 5
Level 5

Hi guys.

I am finding my records have to much static despite how many times I clean them.

My typical cleaner is isopropyl alcohol with distilled water.

The above formula doesnt seem to remove the static so I went and purchased any anti static spray solution.

What I find is if I let the record play and spray the solution the static is gone but once I use the microfibre cloth to dry the solution off the static is back.

its making my life hell trying to grade....I cant sell a record and ask the buyer to play it when wet.

Any ideas?

Does the anti static gun work for sure and if I use the anti static gun hpw long will the records stay free of static?

Reply with quote Back to top
GraemeOffline
Post subject: RE: excessive static issues  PostPosted: Jun 20, 2014 - 11:57 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

I use an anti-static gun with some effect, but they're not cheap. Rather than a microfibre cloth, I suggest you use a carbon fibre brush (properly earthed (grounded) as intended). That should leak the static charge away.

To avoid static build up, while the record is playing, you could try leaving a small container of water on the turntable and leave the lid closed when in use. This will raise the humidity locally and should help reduce the build up of static on the record. Another ruse is to use a conductive rubber mat on the turntable.

j_loopOffline
Post subject: RE: excessive static issues  PostPosted: Jun 20, 2014 - 12:06 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Since the wet-cleaning is removing the static it must be somewhere after that in which the records gain a charge. How are you drying them? If you're using a cloth, I would suggest only lightly patting them to damp (don't rub) and letting them air dry the rest of the way. (with just distilled water & isopropyl alcohol there's no risk of them leaving anything behind). And as Graeme mentions you need a carbon fibre brush that's grounded or use it quickly (ala one revolution) because if not grounded and left on a spinning record too long it can build a charge on the record. Also, do you wear socks and constantly shuffle your feet on fluffy carpet?

p.s.: I had bad luck with microfiber/lint free cloths, but my problem was with lint not static.

PetarjovanicOffline
1 Post subject: update  PostPosted: Jun 23, 2014 - 02:58 AM
Level 5
Level 5

Hi guys.

I tried calling the record on a rubber matt on slate tiles with a microfibre cloth.

It turned out worse.

What im finding is once the record plays im getting alot of crap on the record coming off the needle or a build up of crap on needle.

im guessing alot of the stuff on the records are being pushed in

GraemeOffline
Post subject: RE: update  PostPosted: Jun 23, 2014 - 04:02 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Quote:

once the record plays im getting alot of crap on the record coming off the needle or a build up of crap on needle.

These are the definitive symptoms of improper cleaning. I suggest you re-visit your cleaning method.

StephenMacLeodOffline
Post subject: Re: update  PostPosted: Jun 23, 2014 - 07:13 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Petarjovanic wrote:
Hi guys.

I tried calling the record on a rubber matt on slate tiles with a microfibre cloth.

It turned out worse.

What im finding is once the record plays im getting alot of crap on the record coming off the needle or a build up of crap on needle.

im guessing alot of the stuff on the records are being pushed in

I used to have those problems,I use distilled water,micro fiber brush and cloth and use a dehumidifier ,everything works fine for me.

j_loopOffline
Post subject: Re: update  PostPosted: Jun 23, 2014 - 11:51 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Petarjovanic wrote:

That was exactly the problem I had (re: my p.s. in the third post). As soon as I ditched the microfiber cloths the problem was solved.

How thoroughly do you wet your records when cleaning? I use a Spin Clean so part gets submerged. You may need to do something like that to get the inlaid lint out of the grooves.

Jump to: