The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SID
Post subject: Casey Kasem  PostPosted: Jun 15, 2014 - 02:34 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Legendary radio broadcaster Casey Kasem died today at the age of 82.

I remember his Top 40 countdowns.

RIP

Reply with quote Back to top
mackdaddygOffline
Post subject: RE: Casey Kasem  PostPosted: Jun 15, 2014 - 08:51 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Been expecting this with all the drama as of late....but still sad to hear.

I also have lots of great memories hearing the Top 40 countdowns on the radio as a young lad.

RIP.

Heidler
Post subject: Casey Kasem  PostPosted: Jun 19, 2014 - 06:35 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Hello...

I was told of this post by a member the Guild, and although I would not refer to Casey Kasem ( real name: Kemal Amin Kasem ) as of yet as " Legendary "..perhaps that time will come...

One of the things I liked about Casey, is that he KNEW about the music ( unlike the Producer of his 1965 short-lived TV show: " Shebang! " by the name of Dick Clark* which aired on KTLA Channel 5 )
* Seemed to know very little about our group- Joey Vann of The Duprees-1962

Casey was Detroit-born, went to Korea, worked for AFN ( Armed Forcers Network ) and after " bumming around after my discharge " came out here.

I first saw Casey on KCOP ( Channel 13 ) with Henry Mancini in a thing called " DJ Special " ( shame on KCOP for throwing everything away, like most all of the Lloyd Thaxton Show ( " Teenage Dance Time " ) and his guests ( which included tapes of Johnny " Mr. Bass Man " Cymbol, Round Robin, and Major Lance, among the many others! )
Shame on KCOP too for " making room " in their petty file cabinets, by throwing away ALL of the " still photos " from ALL of those days, and those that were retained by Lloyd Thaxton were few and far between ( he let me look at most of them, after we met outside of a Thriftymart on the corner of Laurel Canyon and Ventura Blvd in Studio City, California )

Lloyd Thaxton:
" You DO look like a record buff to me "

So..................

I first met Casey at KRLA in 1963, thanks to Lew Bedell ( rn: Bedinsky ) of DORE Records- ( when the KRLA studios were out near Fair Oaks ( 1401 South Oak Knoll in Pasadena ..213-793-3330 )

At the time, Casey was just another " jock " out here, but I remember some people commenting with regard to his " unique " voice over that of his many counter-parts

Lester Sill:
" Man, that guy ( Kasem ) is a shoe-in for jingles and adverts " ( sic ) *
" You wait and see, ( he will be doing ) all kinds of the Hannah-Barbera things "
* At the same time ( on tape ) on Johnny Otis: ( Then on the radio )
" To me, it sounds now like all that jive has gone out of him "

May I please now add a footnote:

When I ( often ) re-contacted Casey Kasem in the very early 1980s, his lovely " right-hand-man " by the name of Eva ( Marie ) Depperschmidt ALWAYS took my calls, PLUS, she insured that I had the latest signed photo ( usually of the 8x10 variety ) of Casey Kasem, ( one with wife, Jean ) every few months or so ( along with " Letterhead " stationary from what-ever project was at hand ( and I still have all of those " mailers " )

Sure, I will miss Casey, but may I also add, the very lovely Eva Marie Depperschmidt sadly passed away on Christmas Day, 2010.

Like the many un-sung, and ( mostly ) unknown " connected " people in this industry, I could not let this go without posting this input.

R.I.P. Casey, but I will remember Eva Depperschmidt too.

Thank you all.

P.S
Sorry about some of the " neglected " emails you have sent, I will try to get to some of them today ( 36 )
ALL ( " Sale " ) LPs have been spoken for by a Guild-member from Tennessee.

KRLA - 1110 AM " The Heart & Soul....... Of Rock and Roll "

H

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: RE: Casey Kasem  PostPosted: Jun 19, 2014 - 01:11 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

great post Heidler, i too sometimes remember a celebrity not for what they were but for some one that was along with them or one single thing they did. don't forget, please save all the 45s for me and the novelty lps also that you have. the jeep is sitting in the driveway ready to head west.

aravelOffline
Post subject: RE: Casey Kasem  PostPosted: Jun 19, 2014 - 01:44 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

::: Very nice Heidler!

I liked the man, I even taped a lot of the AT40 shows: as a teenager that show helped me a lot to understand english

I remember that very weekend when Prince's 'Batdance' hit the #1...I managed to keep awake my younger brother (he was 9 or 10) to listen to the song for the first time (batmania took over Mexico) due to the time zone differences, we got to hear it around 1 am!

RIP

ARAVEL Rolling Eyes

gypsyeyes wrote:

Now.......I know that aravel said that is an older photo of himself.
But let me tell ya, to me he looks pretty hot.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
StephenMacLeodOffline
Post subject: RE: Casey Kasem  PostPosted: Jun 19, 2014 - 06:34 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

IRIP Casey-I even have some of the AT40`s on vinyl with cue sheets from 1976,3 different shows.

HamYardieOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 22, 2014 - 05:46 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Apart from hearing his voice in just about every situation you can imagine, I remember him sticking up for the U.S. Arab community and Arabs in general, pointing out how often they a mistreated and misconceived by the popular media.Big Up Casey Kasem !

Jump to: