The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
no_dude
Post subject: Test Pressing must be easy to counterfeit?  PostPosted: Jun 25, 2014 - 08:51 PM
Level 2
Level 2

I ask because I was at a record store who will remain nameless and had to use their restroom. I walked in back and saw a stack of pristine test pressings in white sleeves with the name of the band/album. I picked a few up--one that caught my eye. When I asked him how much they were going for, he sort of freaked out and asked where I got them?

I pointed and he said, "These should not be out, not for sale" I said--I'd love to buy that semi famous band from GA with a guy named Skydog and his famous Cher loving brother. A very great album by them. He said--Not fore sale in the store.

Anyway, I walked out and only did it occur to me how nice they were and the only thing the labels said were CBS Test Pressing. Which is stupid because as far I knew--this band had nothing ever released by CBS? More Capricorn and WB.

Just venting on it and want opinions. They're truly hard-core record lovers and I'd never say who they are--because if that is being sold as a Test Pressing anywhere it will get outquick. Or maybe I'm wrong and hoping someone can explain it's possible.

White Labels, looked like the couple MFSL Test Pressings I currently own, but had too shiny and new look to them.

It also occurred to me that Test Pressing must be the easiest to counterfeit--especially for overseas collectors.

Reply with quote Back to top
annaloogOffline
Post subject: Re: Test Pressing must be easy to counterfeit?  PostPosted: Jun 25, 2014 - 11:22 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

no_dude wrote:
... the labels said were CBS Test Pressing. Which is stupid because as far I knew--this band had nothing ever released by CBS? More Capricorn and WB....
Difficult to be certain what you saw without actually seeing them myself, but on a general note, the various record manufacturers (i.e., record factories, pressing plants) produced test pressings for quality control purposes prior to pressing promotional and retail copies. Columbia (CBS) operated 3 US factories during the 1970s*: Pitman NJ, Terre Haute IN and Santa Maria CA. I have seen a number of Santa Maria LP test pressings in thrift shops over the years ... I have no reason to suppose that they are counterfeits.

------------------
* IIRC, the Carrollton GA factory was 1980s.

MikeyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 05, 2014 - 04:39 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

It might be somebody's collection of Test Pressings. It was standard procedure to use "Test Pressing" labels for test pressings, which is what "Test Pressing" labels were designed for. Record labels get their records pressed wherever they get the best price and service, and they even used plants owned by the big labels. So, there is nothing unusual about Label "x" having their records pressed by CBS. What night be unusual is an EMI record being pressed at CBS when EMI had factories all over the world, except for when they were super busy and contracted other plants to press their records (eg: The Beatles albums that fall in to the "Decca Contract Pressing" category).

What you might watch out for here is a "Test Pressing" label stuck over the label of a commercial release. Test Pressings are produced by the plant for customer approval. It is inferred that the artist, the producer, the record label have played the Test Pressing before approving an order for 100,000 pressings. Without test pressings, it is too late to go back to the plant and tell them you don't like the pressing when they have already delivered 100,000 copies to you. The inference of a Test Pressing to the collector is that the artist has possibly held it in his/her hands and played it, or at least someone CLOSE to the artist has, or someone that was possibly important and hopefully close to the artist but often it was the Quality Control geek who sat in a back room at the label checking test pressings in case the pressing plant was not checking the quality of their work or letting something sub-standard through.

There might be three or four different versions of a Test Pressing - these could feature different mixes of a song or two, different track order, a different cut with different processing (EQ, compression, limiting) ... whatever. Until it sounded right, the producer does not give the plant the OK to press the initial order.

We had a client who realised the value of Test Pressings on the collector's market. With each order of a new title or a re-press, this label often ordered 50 copies on blank white labels that they could sell into the collector's market as Test Pressings. So rather than just 4 or 5 Test Pressing copies being in circulation, there are hundreds and hundreds of some American bands.

Jump to: