The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
HamYardieOffline
Post subject: THE SUN COLLECTION LP - UK Release Date  PostPosted: Jun 26, 2014 - 02:18 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Can anyone tell me the release date for the UK "Sun Collection" LP ? I'm thinking it was in 1975 ?

Reply with quote Back to top
sun-rockerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 29, 2014 - 02:18 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Hello HamYardie,
I can't tell you the release date for the UK, but here in Germany the LP was released in 1975. The first pressings don't have the LC number on the cover/label. This Labelcode was invented in 1975 and the LP came out before that time.

HamYardieOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 29, 2014 - 06:06 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Cheers sun-rocker. I've had a poke about online and it's either June or July 1975. It was such a massive LP for me living in London at the time., as I wasn't really aware of the Sun material at the time - perhaps Roy Carr (of the New Musical Express) 's greatest contribution to the culture.

namralosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 15, 2014 - 03:31 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

There was more than one pressing, but HamYardie is correct in indicating that the first pressing came out in Summer, 1975 -- some sources say August. It was one of NME's top LP's of the year.
The material had already been released by RCA, but not all in one place (promoting his appearance on Sun).
Some of the songs on the album were the reprocessed (by RCA) versions. It took a few album reissues of the material to finally get the original "undistorted" versions as Sun had actually released them.

Jump to: