The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mjl1227
Post subject: Interest??  PostPosted: Mar 21, 2013 - 08:59 PM
Level 5
Level 5

I was wondering if Elvis Lp's still garner any interest?

Do collectors still look for his records, other than original Sun material, or has he become another Mantovani? I work part-time at a record store and I have never seem a customer pick out an Elvis title. Albeit, we have a much younger clientele, but this 24-year old still loves his music.

I have some sealed Elvis Lp's that I was debating about listing.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks-Matt

Reply with quote Back to top
smunger805Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 21, 2013 - 09:07 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Matt,

My collecting started with Elvis records when I was 18. Still spin them today.

I have most in shrink or sealed but would be interested in what you have.

Thanks!

Steve

mjl1227
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 21, 2013 - 09:14 PM
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the quick reply. About a year ago, I found an unbelievable Beatles and Elvis collection. They were ALL NM originals, so I purchased all 20 or so Elvis pieces-that's what got me started.

As for the sealed ones, I have only four. They are as follows:

Pot Luck
50,000,000 Fans
A Date With Elvis
Girl Happy

Glad to hear someone else likes his music- I was beginning to think I was the only one.

Matt

PaceyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 22, 2013 - 06:44 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

This does raise an interesting point though: how many people in their twenties, and younger, are interested in Elvis and 1950s rock n roll? Yes, the 60s culture and music still resonates in music today, but artists rooted in the 50s are becoming further removed from being an integral part of youth culture. How long will it be until Elvis does become another Mantovani for record collectors..?

mackdaddygOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 22, 2013 - 07:42 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

A few months ago, I asked a record store owner how well Elvis's stuff sold for him. His response was "terrible".

It could be that Elvis is now in the same category as the doo wop performers. The true collectors of that genre are dying off, fading away, whatever, and there aren't as many people looking for their stuff as before. Also, the Elvis collectors probably have everything by now, so unless a really really nice piece shows up (be it a sealed original or a rare record), there ain't much interest in his stuff.

I'm talking about the collectors in the states. Worldwide might be a whole different thing.

My guess is that if you sell really nice Elvis stuff online, you will probably still get some decent change. If you have it in a bricks and mortar store, you might have to sit on it for a while until somebody comes along who wants it.

Just two cents from somebody that really doesn't know for sure what he's talking about.

SID
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 22, 2013 - 09:21 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I probably have more Elvis Costello in my collection than Elvis Presley,but people still buy his records, as I've sold many Elvis records at record shows over the years. There are still many Elvis collectors out there. Elvis lives !

namralosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 22, 2013 - 11:08 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

The more common Presley records -- particularly after about 1968 -- are not that interesting to collectors. On the other hand, try to find a NM first print of his first three LP's.

There are also quite a few scarce label variations.

tw5270Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 22, 2013 - 11:15 AM
Level 5
Level 5

I Just sold a copy of From Memphis to Vegas with both of the bonus photos in VG for $100.00 so there is still a market.

hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 22, 2013 - 03:42 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

mackdaddyg wrote:

It could be that Elvis is now in the same category as the doo wop performers. The true collectors of that genre are dying off, fading away, whatever, and there aren't as many people looking for their stuff as before.

Doo wop sells like crazy; I've listed simultaneous small lots in doo wop, Northern Soul, blues, rockabilly - doo wop always gets the most views, and usually the best results. Great music never dies, and it doesn't matter when it happened - interest renews endlessly for the worthy.

mackdaddygOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 22, 2013 - 06:30 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

hrtshpdbox wrote:
mackdaddyg wrote:

It could be that Elvis is now in the same category as the doo wop performers. The true collectors of that genre are dying off, fading away, whatever, and there aren't as many people looking for their stuff as before.

Doo wop sells like crazy; I've listed simultaneous small lots in doo wop, Northern Soul, blues, rockabilly - doo wop always gets the most views, and usually the best results. Great music never dies, and it doesn't matter when it happened - interest renews endlessly for the worthy.

As is often the case, I didn't present my opinion correctly. There are a lot of doo wop collectors still out there, but I don't think it's quite as prominent as it used to be. I wonder if a lot of those collectors are going the internet route when buying their vinyl. The folks I tend to see in stores nowadays are buying newer music, meaning classic rock up to modern releases. I don't see much doo wop changing hands.

That being said, I agree with ya. Great music always comes back around, and doo wop is way up there on the list. I guess what I wonder is this: take somebody like that Tefteller guy (or however his name is spelled) that always has auctions full of 50s and early 60s records. I wonder what the average age of his buyers is.

Jump to: