The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
UncleMarkOffline
Post subject: Artist looking for advice on selling new vinyl EP  PostPosted: Jun 27, 2014 - 04:54 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Does anyone have any tips for an independent artist who is releasing a limited edition vinyl album?

Are their record collectors interested in rare new vinyl records?

I'm going to be releasing a 12" 45rpm EP soon. I'm only having 100 pressed and don't intend on making the music available in digital form, so as to impose rarity and hopefully make it something special to own. (A very, very expensive experiment.)

Thanks a ton for your insight!

Reply with quote Back to top
heyjoeOffline
Post subject: RE: Artist looking for advice on selling new vinyl EP  PostPosted: Jun 27, 2014 - 05:14 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Facebook to your fans, Youtube clip...

aravelOffline
Post subject: RE: Artist looking for advice on selling new vinyl EP  PostPosted: Jun 30, 2014 - 12:16 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

::: tumblr is a great way to expose visual images of your work, also, vine, and that site that I always find something interesting: vimeo ...a decent smart phone will do the trick! good luck..and also give us a link!
ARAVEL Cool

gypsyeyes wrote:

Now.......I know that aravel said that is an older photo of himself.
But let me tell ya, to me he looks pretty hot.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
no_dude
Post subject: RE: Artist looking for advice on selling new vinyl EP  PostPosted: Jul 10, 2014 - 10:42 PM
Level 2
Level 2

If the music is good--which is purely subjective, I'd hope you could sell 100 LP's. Unless the album cover's artwork is just too cool, striking, or strikes a cord with someone, not many people would take the risk to buy it if it's over $20.

The whole limited edition to 100 doesn't mean much either to an unknown artist or group, unless you have at least 10K+ global fan base.

You'd also have to either give a reviewer a copy to get word out. And then with that--see my second sentence. Works the same way. It's not easy slinging vinyl without a following. L

And it's literally impossible to prevent any kind of leak in digitized form after the first LP sells.

UncleMarkOffline
Post subject: RE: Artist looking for advice on selling new vinyl EP  PostPosted: Jul 12, 2014 - 09:28 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks for the tips.

Yeah. I hate marketing like Bill Hicks hated marketing, so I guess I'm kinda screwed. How does one gain Facebook fans, Twitter followers etc. when one loathes the idea of self-promotion.

And frankly, I'm not against giving these things out as long as I think there is a reasonable chance they might actually be listened to once, just wondering who out there I should send them to.

Regarding, digital copies. I've got no problem with needle-drop copies. It's the actual clean digital file I wanna keep to myself.

And finally, of course the music is good. I've got that front covered. It's the selling business that I'm hopeless at.

Bush Monkey
Post subject: RE: Artist looking for advice on selling new vinyl EP  PostPosted: Jul 21, 2014 - 09:59 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Just had this thought, UncleMark, that maybe you could contact the new owners of this site, (Record Collector's Guild), at FeedBands.com.

"The Record Collector's Guild is brought to you by Feedbands. Feedbands presses a new independent artist to vinyl every month. Check them out at Feedbands.com."

About Feedbands.com:
https://feedbands.com/about

Here are the steps you would take to submit your music:
https://feedbands.com/submit

UncleMarkOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 21, 2014 - 11:23 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks Bush Monkey.

I think I'll continue printing my own records on my own though. The whole point of this endeavor is finding a way not to become just another drop in the endless flood of horrible music that keeps getting produced, released in the digital ocean and forgotten.

Kudos to the developers of sites like this that I'm sure have only the best interest of musicians and music lovers at heart and really are trying to develop ways for good independent music to be disseminated though. I get it. It just seems to me that adding a digital, app-centric dimension to record collecting is kind of missing the point of what makes record collecting so exciting. It's a connection to the past and the rich history of music that I'm after.

Mark
So-Called Fake Country All-Stars

CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Artist looking for advice on selling new vinyl EP  PostPosted: Jul 24, 2014 - 02:11 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

UncleMark wrote:
Thanks for the tips.

Yeah. I hate marketing like Bill Hicks hated marketing, so I guess I'm kinda screwed. How does one gain Facebook fans, Twitter followers etc. when one loathes the idea of self-promotion.

I think there's no avoiding self promotion and marketing if one wants to be successful. That applies to pretty much any endeavor in life, not just the music business.

You might start out with a simple facebook page and reach out to folks you know. Send them "friend requests." Engage in friendly discussion on facebook regarding music, your hobbies & interests, post interesting photos and that sort of thing.

Good luck with your venture, keep us posted. Feel free to "friend" me on facebook, see my signature below. Smile

UncleMarkOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Artist looking for advice on selling new vinyl E  PostPosted: Aug 15, 2014 - 08:59 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks for the encouragement CactusCowboy. In addition to having a facebook page I also am going to be posting a promo video for the record on youtube soon and am still trying to find people interested in a vinyl-only release. Daunting.

I will friend you on Facebook, and if you are interested, please "like" the So-Called Fake Country All-Stars on Facebook. See, I am trying. Smile

https://www.facebook.com/fakecountryallstars

ralnarOffline
Post subject: Re: Artist looking for advice on selling new vinyl EP  PostPosted: Aug 18, 2014 - 07:55 AM
Level 1
Level 1

UncleMark wrote:
Does anyone have any tips for an independent artist who is releasing a limited edition vinyl album?

Are their record collectors interested in rare new vinyl records?

I'm going to be releasing a 12" 45rpm EP soon. I'm only having 100 pressed and don't intend on making the music available in digital form, so as to impose rarity and hopefully make it something special to own. (A very, very expensive experiment.)

Thanks a ton for your insight!

I'm a bit puzzled about your mindset. As a new artist, I think you should direct your releases to people who like your music and not record collectors. Generally, the collectable small series releases are due to:
- the artist is yet unknown, so a small edition is pressed due to cost, and low demand at the time. Later when the artist is known, the release is collectable as there is now a large demand and low supply. The artist does not get a part of the top dollars, unless a box or two has been hidden away.
- the artist is known, and can release a limited edition at a premium, as the demand is high from many fans/collectors.

For every collectable limited edition self released record, there are a hundred similar releases because the artist never got known, and the music never received recognition or appreciation.
Rare is not equal to valuable.

If you want to do a release, just do it, but don't expect to be able to sell it at a "rare" premium. If they get snapped up, you have a basis to continue releasing. If they don't sell, you'll have a stock of "rarities" which could become valuable if you do become more appreciated later. And if that doesn't happen, well...

Jump to: