The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
elvisluvsOffline
Post subject: Cheat sheet for collectible 78's - help  PostPosted: Jun 29, 2014 - 11:51 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I've seen ( and misplaced Embarassed ) a really basic guide for labels and series #'s to keep an eye out for. I thought I had seen it on a 78 dealers page. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Tia-M

Reply with quote Back to top
mackdaddygOffline
Post subject: RE: Cheat sheet for collectible 78  PostPosted: Jul 01, 2014 - 05:14 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

This ain't an internet source, but if you can find a cheap used copy of Les Docks' price guide, he has a big ol' listing of rare 78 labels. The label pics are really cool to see as well.

elvisluvsOffline
Post subject: RE: Cheat sheet for collectible 78  PostPosted: Jul 01, 2014 - 10:37 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Hi MDG- coincidently, I ordered a copy a couple of days ago. I have a somewhat large pile of 78s to go through. I was hoping to quickly separate the common from rare. Maybe the tortoise route won't be so bad. Thank you for your help-m

elvisluvsOffline
Post subject: RE: Cheat sheet for collectible 78  PostPosted: Jul 07, 2014 - 10:20 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Hi MDG- just started looking at it tonight. Those label pics are pretty neat (and helpful).

mackdaddygOffline
Post subject: RE: Cheat sheet for collectible 78  PostPosted: Jul 08, 2014 - 07:22 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

When I was a kid, I was heavily into collecting 78's. I used Docks' guide constantly and spent a whole lotta time perusing the labels, partially to learn, but also because they were cool to see.

I found out much later that the prices were usually way off (not that it matters any more to me), but as a label guide, it's pretty useful and interesting.

Have fun!!!

elvisluvsOffline
Post subject: RE: Cheat sheet for collectible 78  PostPosted: Jul 08, 2014 - 02:53 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Thanks- MDG At the least it is a great place to start. I'm sort of in a holding pattern on beating myself up over the 78 pile I dug through last fall. I can't definitely say what I passed over, but there were probably 5% or more of those labels in the one pile. The house was foreclosed and auctioned off- but I don't think the deal is completed yet. There's still a slight chance to find "i grabbed the wrong darned rekkid blues" Rolling Eyes
Q.R.S. Crying or Very sad

CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: RE: Cheat sheet for collectible 78  PostPosted: Jul 09, 2014 - 11:24 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Obviously look for rare labels like "Black Patti." But it's not that simple. It would be easy to assume that Victor label records are very common and have little value. One that I picked up for $1 years ago is: Noah Lewis - Chickasaw Special/Devil In The Woodpile, VICTOR V-38581. A NM copy very similar to mine sold on Ebay for nearly $900 a few years ago. I look at all 78s closely and pass over all the real common stuff like Frankie Carle and Ken Griffin, etc... but will often pick up unknown artists just on a hunch.

wand143Offline
Post subject: RE: Cheat sheet for collectible 78  PostPosted: Jul 12, 2014 - 06:53 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

And there's garbage on rare labels, too - last year I found a two-sider of boring organ music but it was worth buying because it was on the Autograph label.

mackdaddygOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Cheat sheet for collectible 78  PostPosted: Jul 12, 2014 - 11:20 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

wand143 wrote:
And there's garbage on rare labels, too - last year I found a two-sider of boring organ music but it was worth buying because it was on the Autograph label.

Same for me. It was many many years ago, but I found an Autograph 78 for maybe a buck. Only bought it because it's a label I've never seen before.

I think mine also has organ music, but it's one-sided.

annaloogOffline
Post subject: Re: 'garbage on rare labels'  PostPosted: Jul 12, 2014 - 12:17 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

wand143 wrote:
5-6 years ago, I found an example of the Paramount label, the only one I've ever had my hands on ... just not a blues record, though I wouldn't call it 'garbage'. It's "My Isle of Golden Dreams Waltz" / "Peggy" by Benny Selvin's Novelty Orchestra, Paramount 20002. Still, it only set me back 75c at a local thrift shop.

20002a.jpg
 Description:
Paramount 20002
"My Isle of Golden Dreams Waltz" / "Peggy"
Benny Selvin's Novelty Orchestra,
 Filesize:  37.52 KB
 Viewed:  2141 Time(s)

20002a.jpg

Jump to: