The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
char0217Offline
Post subject: Anyone ever have a record with two different artists on it?  PostPosted: Jul 07, 2014 - 01:57 PM
Level 1
Level 1

I recently inherited my grandmothers vinyl record collection. When I was researching her records, I came across a Paul Anka album that she wrote "note inside jacket" on the album cover. I opened the letter and it was from Columbia Records. From what I can make out, my grandmother wrote to Columbia records because her album had a different artist on side two. Both sides said Paul Anka and listed the songs. When she played the record on side two it was another artist. Columbia records researched it and said that the side two was a fairly new artist and the record numbers were close and that somehow that artist got put on the flip side of her album accidently. I have no clue if this means the album is worthless or actually worth something. Either way, it's very cool. The letter is typed on Columbia Records letterhead and signed in ink. Has anyone here ever come across something like this? Thanks!

Reply with quote Back to top
SID
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 07, 2014 - 02:10 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

It happens now and then. If you look in the dead wax on both sides of the record,see if the numbers match. You can Google the numbers and maybe find out who the other artist is.

char0217Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 07, 2014 - 02:35 PM
Level 1
Level 1

SID wrote:
It happens now and then. If you look in the dead wax on both sides of the record,see if the numbers match. You can Google the numbers and maybe find out who the other artist is.

I do know who the other artist is. That info was included in the letter. The numbers on the album match on each side perfectly. The album number for the other artist is similar to the Paul Anka one. I think the artist was Goothra or Something like that, I have to go back and read the letter.

SID
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 07, 2014 - 02:49 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Grootna ? 1972 Columbia ?

char0217Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 07, 2014 - 02:58 PM
Level 1
Level 1

SID wrote:
Grootna ? 1972 Columbia ?

Yes! Thanks.

SID
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 07, 2014 - 03:02 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I have that Grootna record,but no Paul Anka on the flip. Sad

char0217Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 07, 2014 - 03:09 PM
Level 1
Level 1

Bummer! I've done lots of research and can't find anything like this online. I'm not looking to retire on it but if it were worth something, I'd be curious. If not, I will just keep it, I really got a kick out of the letter. Thanks for your help.

SID
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 07, 2014 - 03:21 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Not sure what the Anka album sells for,but the Grootna usually fetches around $20.

ChadFromCanadaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 10, 2014 - 08:02 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Mispresses like this only tend to fetch big dollars for the extremely popular and collectible artists like Beatles, Stones, Metallica etc. I'm sure fans of Grootna would be somewhat interested in it, but I doubt they'd pay a whole lot for it (if I were a fan and really wanted to explore their extremely limited library, I'd probably go for pressings from other countries before something like that). It all depends on who is looking at the time though, but I'd consider something like this selling for anything significant an anomaly. Cool story though with the letter to go along with it.

habsrule999Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 23, 2014 - 04:08 PM
Level 1
Level 1

hey.. i just found a Roberta flack side 1 and J Giels band side 2??!!.. did you ever get a value for your mis-press??

Jump to: