The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
darkdubhOffline
Post subject: Elliot Smith Either/Or.Bootleg?  PostPosted: Jul 22, 2014 - 05:11 PM
Level 4
Level 4

I bought what at first seemed like an original US press KRS 269 but further investigation on Discogs shows what is described as a repress with the number 68082 scratched out.Sure enough my copy has this.Does anyone know is this a legit press or a counterfeit/boot?

Reply with quote Back to top
AudioGasoline
Post subject: RE: Elliot Smith Either/Or.Bootleg?  PostPosted: Jul 31, 2014 - 10:44 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

My guess is: Legit Repress. Kill Rock Stars went through a major repress frenzy 2 or 3 years ago, and re-issued most of their more-recognizable albums. Does it have a barcode? If it does, it's probably legit. All the original KRS albums I have from this timeframe (mid-90s) have no barcode, but all the represses I've seen have one (sometimes printed on the jacket, sometimes as a sticker).

Remember too, that Discogs is open to edits from any registered member; any member can add anything they want to the release info, and it will stay until someone else changes/removes it. I see erroneous details infrequently, but often enough that it doesn't surprise me anymore. Finer details like this should be taken with a grain of salt.

Further speculation:
Possibly, they created a new Master and Mother set for the repress, but made an error when etching it. Maybe they scratched out 68082 because the correct reference number is 68282, as etched on the original pressing. This is pure speculation, of course. Maybe it's just me, but this record just doesn't seem like a big candidate for pirating.

Reply with quote Back to top
Jump to: