The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
B_big.Offline
15 Post subject: Got a glorious counterfeit!  PostPosted: Jul 30, 2014 - 12:09 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( .
      What do you think, it's obviously not an original according to "Goldmine's price guide to 45 rpm records (7th edition).

They report on page 52:
        "This record has been counterfeited; most of these are obvious on sight because neither the typeface nor the blue color matches original Chess 45s of the era, the fake label is glossy (so is mine) and originals aren't and the publisher information at 3 o'clock is flush left on the originals and centered on the fake."

Billy Barrix - 'Cool Off Baby' / 'Almost' (US Chess - 1662, 1958) The matrix shows 8496 - ve and 8497 - ve hand-engraved, not stamped.
      It's straight forward Rockabilly - really neat!

Maybe it fits better to the 'Super Collectibles' topic, how many $$ could fetch a proper counterfeit? By the way the Goldmine's estimate the value of the original at $ 10,000

BillyBarrix_CoolOffBaby_rec.jpg
 Description:
record A-side / Chess 1662 (1958)
 Filesize:  51.18 KB
 Viewed:  1010 Time(s)

BillyBarrix_CoolOffBaby_rec.jpg

BillyBarrix_CoolOffBaby_A.jpg
 Description:
Label A-side / Chess 1662 (1958)
 Filesize:  56.73 KB
 Viewed:  1010 Time(s)

BillyBarrix_CoolOffBaby_A.jpg

the fine art of record cover & sleeve & more
berlin/germany/europe/planet earth/milky way/universe

Reply with quote Back to top
wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: RE: Got a glorious counterfeit!  PostPosted: Aug 02, 2014 - 06:17 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

the counterfeits of this seem to sell for about 25 bucks in new condition. goldmine is way off in their value of this, i've never had one so i don't know a correct value but it isn't that great a recording and it's on a major label.

B_big.Offline
15 Post subject: Goldmine value - exaggeration  PostPosted: Aug 03, 2014 - 01:08 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

wurlitzer1450 wrote:
the counterfeits of this seem to sell for about 25 bucks in new condition. . . .

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( .
      First of all, thanks for your feedback Wurl! I also thought, that the value stated by 'Goldmine' is far too high. I don't rely on price guides anyway.

It's a nice single and I paid less than $ 25.00 - so everything is fine for me. It's a keeper for my oddity cabinet.

wand143Offline
Post subject: RE: Goldmine value - exaggeration  PostPosted: Aug 08, 2014 - 05:24 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Years ago I could've picked up a counterfeit "Rocket 88" on a 45 in Chicago for $20 or so - the thing was, it looked SO good and even had a little wear & tear to it, that I wonder to this day if the guy didn't have an original and didn't know it! I mean, he was selling it as a counterfeit, but it still makes me wonder...

B_big.Offline
22 Post subject: Buying (or not) - counterfeits  PostPosted: Aug 08, 2014 - 08:15 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

wand143 wrote:
Years ago I could've picked up a counterfeit "Rocket 88" on a 45 in Chicago for $20 or so - the thing was, it looked SO good and even had a little wear & tear to it, that I wonder to this day if the guy didn't have an original and didn't know it! I mean, he was selling it as a counterfeit, but it still makes me wonder...

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( .
      This sounds like you didn't buy it?! No surprise, that you still wonder after these years. I don't worry too much whether it's an original or not. I won't sell it anyway. For Europeans it's hard to compare this one with an original US 7" label of that era - in 1958 I was just 6 years of age.

Normally I don't look up the price guide for the value, but in this case I was curious about the production date, that was the reason why - and up came what I've posted above. It's funny, isn't it?? .

wand143Offline
Post subject: RE: Buying (or not) - counterfeits  PostPosted: Aug 14, 2014 - 05:33 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

No, I passed on it. Money was tight that day and the $20 would've drained me for the rest of the show.

B_big.Offline
19 Post subject: Beware . . . of alluring gems  PostPosted: Aug 14, 2014 - 11:14 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

wand143 wrote:
No, I passed on it . . .

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( .
      Life can be rather cruel sometimes; especially, if you see too many neat items on a record show. One reason for me to avoid these kind of events - too many temptations for an addict! .

Jump to: