The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 02, 2014 - 06:34 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

you must realize the employees get most of the good stuff before it goes out for sale to the public. the manager gets first pick. i could tell you lots of stories about my experiences with thrift stores back in the 70s and 80s.

Reply with quote Back to top
vinylhoundOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 02, 2014 - 07:51 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

wurlitzer1450 wrote:
you must realize the employees get most of the good stuff before it goes out for sale to the public. the manager gets first pick. i could tell you lots of stories about my experiences with thrift stores back in the 70s and 80s.

Not these stores. They are strict as hell, cameras everywhere, and I have seen quite a few get fired for what you are talking about.
They have bag checks, and have to sign a sheet, as well as the manager for verification before their shift ends.
And yes, I can remember when what you are talking about happened often. Not anymore.
I have been going in these shops forever.
Both the Salvation Army, and Goodwill are crazy.
I was still pulling amazing stuff until about two months ago. The goose stopped laying the golden eggs around late 2010. Stereo equipment, bikes were two mainstays that dried up.
New area CEO changed the set up. High, high, higher. But it ain't unique to here.
The thing about knowing stuff is fake, and charging essentially rip off prices, and trying to rip people off is what gets me. And then you have the crazy people that think that's okay, and the comments I am making are outlandish. How dare I. But they will berate an individual seller in a heart beat.
And this shake down for extra money. Would you like to round up? NO
Some elderly lady bought two flower pots, and agreed to round up. I wasn't paying close attention, but somehow it was round up to the next dollar, plus another dollar. She misunderstood the cashier, but new about the round up, as I do. Somehow they had something else going on to shake people down for additional money. The lady was not happy about it, but was very polite about it. This is the kind of crap that the people that want to defend GW make me sick. They have eleven Sterling S Kirk & Sons soup spoons in the case for $450? Who the hell goes in GW and is buying sterling spoons for almost $500? Really. I could go on about these whacks.
So are they clueless sellers, or they put these nutty prices on crap because there are clueless buyers that pay it?

ShadySamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 03, 2014 - 10:43 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

good post vinylhound, and I totally agree- local SA & GW have gone to sh!t around here (not to mention
yardsales, which I've now given up on). Like a buncha trash they are holding faith will bring in some cash.
My 'golden goose' gave up the ghost about a month or so as well! Damn was I finding some good stuff in this new thrift. Now, zilch. Nada... dubbo why I keep stopping by there anymore!

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 04, 2014 - 10:32 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

i hardly ever go into thrifts anymore unless it's one that just opened or i have time to kill while waiting to met someone. i'm really keen to go to one that charges 5 dollars per lp and 2 dollars for 45s. i get lots of good 45s there. as for yard sales around here only maybe one in 50 has records. dave has it much better in northern wyoming, there it's about one in ten. of coarse he may have to go a whole month to find ten yard sales.

newer99Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 04, 2014 - 11:08 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Staff at the Value Villages in my area are not allowed to buy anything for 3 days, if it still there they can then buy it.

I had a decent arrangement with the record girl in my local store. She would text me when the new records were going out and I would also pick up anything she wanted as well.

Lasted for a couple of months then I think they got wind of it as she said she could not do it any more.

CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 06, 2014 - 04:12 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

newer99 wrote:

I had a decent arrangement with the record girl in my local store. She would text me when the new records were going out and I would also pick up anything she wanted as well.

I'm friendly with the managers in three local thrifts and they will call me when a sizeable donation of records comes in. But that's not often because this is a very sparsely populated area. Still, it's worked out very well on a few occasions.

vinylhoundOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 06, 2014 - 09:24 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

newer99 wrote:
Staff at the Value Villages in my area are not allowed to buy anything for 3 days, if it still there they can then buy it.

Lasted for a couple of months then I think they got wind of it as she said she could not do it any more.

Staff at any Goodwill in this area cannot buy anything from the store they work in.

Manager puts records out on a certain day of the week, and pitches a few crates of records from the previous week. I have dealt with him at other stores for 6 years.
He is also the one overpricing, and marking crap up.
Bose 301's, sold for over $250. Those Silver Spoons? Sold. Who buys this stuff I have no idea. They are nuts. So much for the clueless sellers. Of course a lot of this is they are making a donation by paying those prices.
Audiokarma comes to mind that seems to support this mind set. A few sharp guys on there, but way to many dim wits.

vinylhoundOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 06, 2014 - 09:28 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

CactusCowboy wrote:
newer99 wrote:

I'm friendly with the managers in three local thrifts and they will call me when a sizeable donation of records comes in. But that's not often because this is a very sparsely populated area. Still, it's worked out very well on a few occasions.

They don't need to call anybody. The record vultures would be on the pile so fast your head would spin.
I can go in there, and nothing, I can go in there and barely get a chance to breathe before people are hovering if there is anything good.

CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 07, 2014 - 01:34 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

vinylhound wrote:
CactusCowboy wrote:
newer99 wrote:

They don't need to call anybody. The record vultures would be on the pile so fast your head would spin.
I can go in there, and nothing, I can go in there and barely get a chance to breathe before people are hovering if there is anything good.

I guess I'm one of only a relatively few vultures in this area. Smile Not much competition, but then there's not many records either.

vinylhoundOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 07, 2014 - 03:05 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Missed a lot of UK Prog back in April. The vultures were on it quick And after I was lucky enough to get some of it (What I saw others grabbing wasn't terribly valuable but 50 cents a pop?) I find out the next day they brought more of it out after I left the store. I was in there for a f***ing hour! And they know I want this stuff.
It use to be so easy to get stuff. Now everybody wants it. And most of them don't know what the hell they are doing..

Jump to: