The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
wand143Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 08, 2014 - 05:52 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Don't even bother trying to find Beatles at a Goodwill - even their least-experienced employee was probably told "If anything by them turns up, put it aside - we'll sell it in the display case". Up to a couple years ago I was having interesting luck at other thrifts but only one Goodwill yielded anything decent on a relatively regular basis - now that one has become a first-stop for "pickers" and I don't have the time to get out to it anymore. I was a little disappointed when I donated several hundred 45s to a St. Vincent DePaul Store and not a single one of them wound up going back out for resale. Either a picker in the back had his first crack at them or they all went to a central distribution site.

Reply with quote Back to top
RidinTheWind
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 08, 2014 - 11:52 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

The display case at the local thrift is the front window that gets intense sunlight!

ChadFromCanadaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 13, 2014 - 09:39 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

CactusCowboy wrote:
At thrifts? Mostly TUC, as usual.

At yardsales? The usual finds, predominately TUC, sometimes get lucky. Here's 125 Hard Rock & Metal LPs I picked up for $40 this past weekend.

That's exactly the kind of stuff that I rarely see, or if I do, the record has been skated on, is the wrong record, or is completely missing from the sleeve. You're always making me jealous with your finds.

I haven't really noticed a trend in the stuff I find around here. I could say that the overall quality at thrifts has gotten worse, but I'd say it's just that I've found a lot of the most common stuff that I'd want. And besides that, some of my best thrift store hauls have been in recent years, especially since I moved to a gym that's right beside a Value Village (I check it out for records and more almost every time I hit up the gym, and probably spend way more than I should there). And Value Village by far is the best thrift store in town for selection, though it's the worst for prices - Salvation Army has great and reasonable prices, but the two stores in town rarely get the cream of the crop - I think most people think of Value Village first when they want to donate something so most of the good stuff goes there. I did get a hell of a shelving unit from SA a few weeks ago for $15 though (this thing is solid as hell, probably a $100-150 shelf if it were in a store (and you'd have to assemble it). It's basically a ~6 foot bookshelf, solid as hell and big enough that three of the five shelves can hold records.

wand143Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 15, 2014 - 05:19 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

This is what I have been noticing lately, though it's been a while since I actually did serious shopping in the thrifts:
Goodwill: carries vinyl only nine months out of the year (almost none in the winter months) and has almost completely eliminated cassettes - CD's take up maybe two shelves; VHS tapes take up two shelf UNITS.
St. Vincent DePaul: vinyl all the time, 45s in small quantities (usually beat-up or Contemporary) - titles are usually what Grandma left in the condo after she died. Lots of CD's, little that I've heard of, and nothing in cassettes (although unused blanks appear every once in a while on the "media equipment" shelf).
Salvation Army: way too many LP's, almost all of it What Grandma Left...et cetera. Tapes (if any) and CD's are usually junk - I have yet to find one of their stores in neat condition (although I do appreciate their mission).

jcyoung13Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 21, 2014 - 10:54 AM
Level 3
Level 3

CactusCowboy wrote:

At yardsales? The usual finds, predominately TUC, sometimes get lucky. Here's 125 Hard Rock & Metal LPs I picked up for $40 this past weekend.

Shocked Jeezus. I log on here every once in a great while to check things out. And everytime I do, I get depressed about my own vinyl hunting. Because Cactus just seems to rake 'em in all the time, score after score. Surely, you must own all the records in Wyoming by now. Right??

CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 21, 2014 - 09:12 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

jcyoung13 wrote:
CactusCowboy wrote:

Shocked Jeezus. I log on here every once in a great while to check things out. And everytime I do, I get depressed about my own vinyl hunting. Because Cactus just seems to rake 'em in all the time, score after score. Surely, you must own all the records in Wyoming by now. Right??

Not quite but I'm working on it. Laughing

wand143Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 22, 2014 - 05:40 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Man, I remember when I first started out and finally discovered our local Goodwill back in '78 - HUNDREDS of 45s for a dime each. I hate to think now what I passed on then because all I was looking for at the time was familiar hits. I was smart enough to not pass on a copy of "Let It Be" with the picture sleeve (it was so clean, I STILL have it!) but garage stuff...doo-wop...soul obscurities...if I knew then what I knew now.

aravelOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 22, 2014 - 10:42 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

:: It's true...what you find the most are the Usual TUC of mexican pop artists in perfect condition: LPs from the 70's are always in VG+ and 80's releases are still in shrink, sometimes sealed, and those opened, includes lyrics sheet, barely manipulated sleeves and NM and M records...If I were collecting only those, man, my collection would be impressive....and this trend keeps on going every store and garage sales I've been this year.

But when it comes to Rock LPs, oh dear God... Cool

gypsyeyes wrote:

Now.......I know that aravel said that is an older photo of himself.
But let me tell ya, to me he looks pretty hot.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
RidinTheWind
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 22, 2014 - 11:56 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

wand143 wrote:
Man, I remember when I first started out and finally discovered our local Goodwill back in '78 - HUNDREDS of 45s for a dime each. I hate to think now what I passed on then because all I was looking for at the time was familiar hits. I was smart enough to not pass on a copy of "Let It Be" with the picture sleeve (it was so clean, I STILL have it!) but garage stuff...doo-wop...soul obscurities...if I knew then what I knew now.

Same here! One of the regular collectors used to go through the records back then, and he tells me of some of the finds. The stuff I passed up!

vinylhoundOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 22, 2014 - 06:42 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

wand143 wrote:
I was smart enough to not pass on a copy of "Let It Be" with the picture sleeve (it was so clean, I STILL have it!.

I just sold one of those with a stained Strawberry Fields Picture Sleeve. The Let It Be Sleeve was very nice but not perfect. That record is not worth a lot. I think stone mint you might get $50. You could wait for ever to get $100.
I would have kept the Strawberry Fields if it was clean.
I do see some clueless buyers over paid for some poor condition copies recently.

Jump to: