The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
wand143Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 30, 2014 - 04:28 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Well, I didn't - I threw a few in the bulk lot I got recently and paid a whopping 4 cents each for them. Sure, they're "well-enjoyed" but people are still willing to buy them in even used condition just to have the music. I do plan on reselling them but to a part-time dealer and for only a slight mark-up (he in turn will mark them up as well but not for more than 50 cents each).

Reply with quote Back to top
RidinTheWind
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 14, 2014 - 11:45 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

The local thrift is still getting in the very common stuff, including Herb Alpert and the TJB albums, but now, where they used to linger for a month and were thrown out, they are selling in a few days! I wonder if like Tony Bennet, a new generation has discovered his music. Then again, it could be the same person!

DJboutitOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 14, 2014 - 04:01 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

RidinTheWind wrote:
The local thrift is still getting in the very common stuff, including Herb Alpert and the TJB albums, but now, where they used to linger for a month and were thrown out, they are selling in a few days! I wonder if like Tony Bennet, a new generation has discovered his music. Then again, it could be the same person!

Could be someone buying $1 or $2 records and selling them on Ebay for $6 to $12.
There was a guy here in Houston doing the same thing going to resale and thrift store buying the junk record and trying to sell them on Ebay for like 4 to 6 times what he payed for them. After like a 1 1/2 yr he stopped doing this guess he was not making any money.

wand143Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 16, 2014 - 05:51 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Well, here's a trend for the worse: one of my out-of-town thrifts stopped carrying vinyl altogether. Granted, the stuff they used to have was the 4 C's (Christmas, Contemporary, Christian and Country) so the odds of finding ANYTHING there were remote, but still, it would've been nice if they maintained the effort. They did have a wide variety of CD's as of my last visit, so...you have to take the bad with the good, or something like that.

vinyl1Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 16, 2014 - 12:41 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I actually happened to stop in at a thrift the other day, and they had nice reasonable records in decent condition.....all priced at $3-8. Kind of like a record store.

So not all thrifts are totally dumb. Of course, this is New York City.

LoneStarStompOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 16, 2014 - 09:23 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Our local Goodwill has begun- as best as I can tell- chunking unsold records out before adding new stuff. Most of what pops up is country gospel and white family gospel, but it's still nice to see new stock on occasion. The other local thrifts have started marking up their records to $2 to $5, though.

wand143Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 18, 2014 - 06:16 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

This isn't a thrift situation, but the last time I was at my local Half-Price Books, they started price-stickering individual 45s.. Of course the stickers are damn near impossible to remove from the label...

RidinTheWind
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 22, 2014 - 02:50 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

At least it's on the label and not on the grooves! The thrift used to put stickers on the 45's and sometimes it would be on the grooves. One good 45 was ruined that way.

wand143Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 24, 2014 - 05:57 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Yeah, I believe it - I remember a place (probably an antique mall) did that with 78's - wrecked a mint condition 78 that way (nothing rare, just a nostalgia piece for me).

Jump to: