The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
geo58000Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 08, 2014 - 10:38 AM
Level 5
Level 5

Here's a few common 45's that have uncommon versions:

Miracles - Shop Around (Detroit version)
Scott Mckenzie - San Francisco ("Trashcan" mix)
Beau Brummels - Laugh Laugh (early fade)

Reply with quote Back to top
mackdaddygOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 08, 2014 - 11:01 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

geo58000 wrote:

What is a "trashcan" mix?

geo58000Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 08, 2014 - 12:44 PM
Level 5
Level 5

During the bridge of the song some additional percussion is heard, and it sounds a bit like two trashcan lids being banged together.
It's pretty jarring.
You can hear it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jmeacTcQAU

mackdaddygOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 08, 2014 - 01:19 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

geo58000 wrote:
During the bridge of the song some additional percussion is heard, and it sounds a bit like two trashcan lids being banged together.
It's pretty jarring.
You can hear it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jmeacTcQAU

I have learned something new!!! Thanks for the info and the link.

wand143Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 15, 2014 - 05:42 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

geo58000 wrote:

Miracles - Shop Around (Detroit version)
Beau Brummels - Laugh Laugh (early fade)

"Shop Around": by "Detroit", do you mean the alternate (master # H55581) take which was on the market for only two weeks?
"San Francisco": I'd always heard that referred to as a "distorted bass mix", but whatever.
"Laugh Laugh": I was always convinced that the LONG (2:48) version was the "rare" one as it was quickly replaced by the 2:30 "fade" edit. You see the tan label "short" versions all over the place, but the white label (non-promo) long versions are tough to come by; since I got my copy, I've only found two other copies after that.
Speaking of alternate takes, there's the two available takes of "Don't You Just Know It" by The Fendermen - for years I never realized I had the alternate mix in the collection (which is more "mellow" than the common version).

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 15, 2014 - 02:43 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

that's interesting about the fendermen 45 wand, i'll discuss it with my friend tom on the next trip to colorado.

geo58000Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 16, 2014 - 01:24 PM
Level 5
Level 5

Re: "Shop Around"..Yes, that's the one, it's slower with more of a "bluesy" feel to it.
It's really confusing as to how and where this was distributed; you would think that all the early pressings
that had this version would be on the Tamla "lines" label, but copies exist on the "globes" label too, which wasn't used until maybe '62 or '63.
Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCYoaK23RSw

"Laugh Laugh" is confusing, too, as the white non-promo labeled copies can contain either long or short versions.
Autumn records didn't bother to change the timing on the labels, even though the "fade" version is about 15 seconds shorter.

StephenMacLeodOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 16, 2014 - 05:46 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

geo58000 wrote:
Re: "Shop Around"..Yes, that's the one, it's slower with more of a "bluesy" feel to it.
It's really confusing as to how and where this was distributed; you would think that all the early pressings
that had this version would be on the Tamla "lines" label, but copies exist on the "globes" label too, which wasn't used until maybe '62 or '63.
Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCYoaK23RSw

"Laugh Laugh" is confusing, too, as the white non-promo labeled copies can contain either long or short versions.
Autumn records didn't bother to change the timing on the labels, even though the "fade" version is about 15 seconds shorter.

I think Canadian copies used different mixes of Shop Around & Laugh Laugh.

wand143Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 16, 2014 - 06:10 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I've heard the "first take" of "Shop Around" exists on three different U.S. label variations: the "stripes" label (which I have); the "globes" label (according to price guides); and the "box" logo of the mid-1960s (which I recently picked up for a friend). After that, you'll probably find just the "L1" version although I have come across a "box" pressing with the "H" master number but plays the "L1" version...so go figure.
Yeah, the Fendermen alternates were a surprise to me, too - I thought I had an upgrade once until I realized it was a different take and it was the more "common take". The "first " take is master # KB-1969A-2; the "common" one is KB-1969A-R-2. I assume the "R" stands for "re-master" but the vocal on it is definitely different. Then you get into the Cuca label version of "Mule Skinner Blues" which again is a different take from the hit, but...then you're talking about a whole 'nother animal here.
In the "not rare but neat" category you get J. Geils Band's "Give It To Me" which was initially released as a 3:00+ edit but later released as a 6:00+ version, yet some 6:00 pressings have the 3:00 label...and the first pressings of "Layla" by Derek & The Dominos which clocks at 2:43 but was re-released in its 7-minute-plus version...oh, there are more out there, I'm sure.

geo58000Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 16, 2014 - 10:23 PM
Level 5
Level 5

^^^^^^^
Yeah, it's really baffling as to why Motown/Tamla kept re-issuing the non-hit version, especially considering the great lengths
they went to re-record it, and"bury" the original version in the first place.

Jump to: