The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SeriouslyRareRecordsOffline
1 Post subject: Has anyone ever heard of this? The Squad, Black Tie Records  PostPosted: Aug 16, 2014 - 11:55 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Hi there,

I was wondering if there are any record collectors on here who could help identify the artist or who know what this is. The sound is something like Garage funk /psych rock but not really sure what to classify it as. It is very unusual and difficult to pinpoint the exact genre. One interesting aspect of this single is that it is made of dark blue-violet translucent vinyl. I cannot find any information about black tie records, the producers, or the band so I am assuming this is a private pressing, but not entirely sure.

Any opinions on this? I will see if I can upload a sound clip later on tomorrow.

http://www.ecommerceplayer.com/MediaPlayer.aspx?id=d0d649a4-0c1f-42d7-a0d7-6de9cb146583

Reply with quote Back to top
rooster
Post subject: RE: Has anyone ever heard of this? The Squad, Black Tie Reco  PostPosted: Aug 17, 2014 - 01:35 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Welcome to the RCG.

The only Black Tie Label I know of was the one owned by the Soul group "The Whispers". They started the label in Los Angeles California in the early 1990's. I have no idea if this is the same label or not. Good luck hunting.

rooster

Post subject: RE: Has anyone ever heard of this? The Squad, Black Tie Reco  PostPosted: Aug 17, 2014 - 02:01 PM
Level 2
Level 2

For some reason my pics aren't showing from the first post, so I am posting these again.

Thanks for the reply and the welcome Rooster! This definitely does not sound 90s but who knows. I know nothing about this record other than it was a thrift store find in CT.

If anyone has any ideas what genre I should call this let me know. Please listen to the songs if you have time as I could really use some advice.

jmillsOffline
Post subject: RE: Has anyone ever heard of this? The Squad, Black Tie Reco  PostPosted: Aug 17, 2014 - 04:35 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Late 70s or early 80s rock. I like how the first track switches from psych to straight up J. Geils Band style rock. Good song. Second track is more power pop.

Post subject: RE: Has anyone ever heard of this? The Squad, Black Tie Reco  PostPosted: Aug 17, 2014 - 04:49 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks for your input! I like it too, very catchy. Wish I could find out more about who these guys are. That one track, like you said is somewhat hard to pinpoint in terms of exact genre. Does this look like it is probably a private/garage/local deal? Is there a demand for this type of music amongst collectors? (I'm not saying I am looking to sell it, but curious if this type of thing is something I should keep an eye out for in the future).

jmillsOffline
Post subject: RE: Has anyone ever heard of this? The Squad, Black Tie Reco  PostPosted: Aug 17, 2014 - 05:15 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

A catalog number of BTR-001 probably indicates this was self-released, so you won't find other releases on this label (unless they put out a second record). As far as demand, who knows? I'll usually pick up any private press if it's a dollar or two, as long as it looks even remotely promising.

j_loopOffline
Post subject: RE: Has anyone ever heard of this? The Squad, Black Tie Reco  PostPosted: Aug 18, 2014 - 11:57 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Neat stuff. Definitely sounds "amateur" in the unpolished sense. I would agree with jmills' dating & genre. I see you already added it to Discogs, just curious why you picked UK as the country? Whereabouts in CT?

Post subject: RE: Has anyone ever heard of this? The Squad, Black Tie Reco  PostPosted: Aug 18, 2014 - 01:42 PM
Level 2
Level 2

I thought it was English at first because it was found in a pile with some other foreign records and I also found an English band called The Squad and thought it could have been the same band. After more research though, I am unsure where it is from.

As for whereabouts, I picked it up near Manchester CT.

Last edited by SeriouslyRareRecords on Aug 18, 2014 - 03:29 PM; edited 1 time in total

Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 18, 2014 - 01:52 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Sorry to double post but I forgot to mention that the record is actually made of dark blue-violet vinyl and is translucent when held up to a light source.

Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 18, 2014 - 10:35 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Ok, so I did a little research and learned that the reason the record looks black normally but translucent purple when held up to the light is that is was manufactured from a high-quality virgin vinyl, possibly Quiex II.

Was this typical for small time gigs? I read somewhere that this was more common for radio station and DJ promos, but some standard releases such as R.E.M. 's Reckoning were manufactured from the same material.
Also, I found out that Quiex II and virgin vinyl formulas for better sound were apparently a big thing during the late 70's and early 80's, fitting perfectly with the year estimates you all have provided! This pretty much confirms the relative time period of which this was recorded.

http://www.discogs.com/help/forums/topic/366314

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/vinyl/messages/100/1000216.html

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/share-your-records-pressed-on-secret-quiex-type-vinyl-not-colored-clear-vinyl.285211/

Jump to: