The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
sandellOffline
Post subject: DYLAN, Mexican Version of "Self Portrait"  PostPosted: Aug 21, 2014 - 10:20 PM
Level 4
Level 4

Hello, I have Dylan's "Autorretrato",STEREO CLS-5309, a single LP--I've narrowed down it is Mexican and yet the vinyl label is a bold orange with "Columbia"--the only variant I can find is a picture of the MONO vinyl label reading "CBS"...How rare is this? Thanks

Reply with quote Back to top
nealumphredOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 03, 2014 - 10:27 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

SANDELL

I could simply say the MOST Mexican LPs issued before the mid'-'70s are rare, but it wold be a generalization that may not be all that accurate. EIL calls AUTORRETRATO "mega rare" and I have no reason to question them. Here is the link to their listing:

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=304073

Alas, eBay sales to NOT reflect megararedom, no doubt due to the lack of knowledge on the subject and the lack of willingness of many collectors to expand into Mexican obscurities (unless they are psychedelic):

http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?searchtext=BOB+DYLAN+Autorretrato&x=0&y=0

Hope this helps!

NEAL

Last edited by nealumphred on Oct 11, 2014 - 02:35 PM; edited 1 time in total

vinyl1Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 08, 2014 - 09:04 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Neal, could you explain why anyone would want a 'rare' Mexican pressing of a less-than-mediocre Dylan record? The US pressing is likely to be the best-sounding copy anyway, and it's a pretty murky recording. What's the point?

nealumphredOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 11, 2014 - 10:33 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

VINYL1

It's like the absurd but understandable explanation about who loves whom: "The heart wants what the heart wants."

Except here it's, "Collectors collect to collect." Collectors do NOT collect odd variations to listen and judge. That's for those poor folks cursed with the rare GES (Golden Ear Syndrome) . . .

NU

PS: Hey! Did I just coin a phrase?!? Two phrases? Heckarootie (did Little Richard say that?), I'm putting those two on my website and claim them!

aravelOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 11, 2014 - 01:44 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

::: The lack of information on mexican pressings makes sometimes hard for me to price them either as a 'Buy It Now' auction or a No reserve auction.

There's this feeling of letting go precious stuff for less than 9.99 dollars or overpricing 7" singles for 19.99 dollars.

Sometimes I go eil.com, popsike, discogs or eBay ended listings for research, but when I don't find nothing about them, I flip a coin: BIN for 29.99 or auction for 0.99...if do not sells, then I see how many views the record or how many watchers had, then I re-list the item modifying the price or auction style.

I've bumped into Dylan Mex pressings every now and them, but they're not in good jacket or record condition, usually cheap. Most record sellers go for Stones, Led Zep, Beatles, CCR and Doors for buying and sell.

ARAVEL

gypsyeyes wrote:

Now.......I know that aravel said that is an older photo of himself.
But let me tell ya, to me he looks pretty hot.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
nealumphredOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 12, 2014 - 12:18 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

ARAVEL

Like I said, I turned our conversation into a piece for my blog.

Give it a read and see what you think:

http://ratherrarerecords.com/collectors-collect-to-collect/

NEAL

Jump to: