The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
cdgeorgeOffline
Post subject: Decca SXL 2017 Stravinski The Fire Bird Spanish Pressing  PostPosted: Aug 25, 2014 - 07:39 AM
Level 2
Level 2

I've recently returned from a cruise (very nice and my first one) - and one of the ports was Vigo in Spain - one of the shops there sold all sorts including a leather bound book full of 11 Classical LPs.

One of these LPs was the very collectable SXL 2017 Stravinski The Fire Bird (sporting the Triangular logo). The actual record is in pristine condition and I would like help in determining its value please.

It's a Wide Band Grooved LP - but the groove on this pressing is nearer the perimeter of the label which is further out than the usual two thirds from the centre which would suggest the pressing plant was different than the one in England - so at a guess is was probably pressed in Spain.

More Googling has lead me to find out that Disco Columbia, S.A. (printed on this record I am inquiring about) - is a Spanish record company that was also known as Fabrica de Discos Columbia S.A. and was based in San Sebastian. The company was established in 1935.

Columbia S.A. represented several foreign labels in Spain, like London Records, Decca, Deram, Carrere, Roulette and others.

Reply with quote Back to top
vinyl1Offline
Post subject: RE: Decca SXL 2017 Stravinski The Fire Bird Spanish Pressing  PostPosted: Aug 26, 2014 - 08:30 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Did they use imported UK stampers? What does the deadwax say?

cdgeorgeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 29, 2014 - 06:08 AM
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks for the reply - I am new to this so where is the 'deadwax' on the record?

CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 31, 2014 - 10:54 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Deadwax is the runout grooves, near the label. There should be numbers etched into that area. Those numbers will help identify the pressing.

cdgeorgeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 01, 2014 - 06:36 AM
Level 2
Level 2

Ah, sorry, in that case then I do have that information:

Side 1: ZAL-2622-3E, and on Side 2: ZAL-2623-4E (much more difficult to read on side 2).

I hope that will help if anyone can tell me what all that means.

CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 01, 2014 - 12:33 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Out of curiosity, I 'googled' that matrix number and came up with this completed auction result. It seems your Spanish copy might use the same UK stampers?

http://collectorsfrenzy.com/details/320859910766/AnsermetStravinskyThe_Fire_Bird1958Decca_SXL_2017ffssWBG1st_UK_Pressing

cdgeorgeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 03, 2014 - 06:20 AM
Level 2
Level 2

That would be good news if it did indeed use the UK stampers, but the deep groove in the label is in a different position than the UK version (when I personally did a spot the difference exercise).

The groove from this Spanish version is significantly closer to the perimeter of the label than the groove from the UK version. I have no knowledge about what this really means, however I "assume" that because the physical groove in a different location that different stampers were used.

However if the dead wax numbers define "for sure" where the record was pressed - then of course your googling is likely to be correct - but that does not explain the groove ???

vinyl1Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 03, 2014 - 08:53 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

That is a a UK stamper all right - the 'E' is the mastering engineer code for Stan Goodall.

The stamper makes it of some value, maybe 1/4 to 1/3 the price of a UK press. Sorry, the Decca vinyl and pressing machines were well above the level of what they used in Spain.

cdgeorgeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 05, 2014 - 02:55 AM
Level 2
Level 2

OK thanks for that info - but is there actual evidence that the pressing machines were poor compared to the UK versions - or is that just an assumption because 'made in England' has that prestige?

Does someone here have some historical evidence of that fact?

vinyl1Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 05, 2014 - 06:41 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

It's not an assumption. The UK Decca pressing and vinyl quality in the 60s was the best in the world.

When EMI was overwhelmed by orders for Beatles records, they had Decca press some of the copies for them. They sent them EMI-cut stampers for this purpose. Those copies are greatly superior to the EMI pressings, and sell for huge sums of money today. I have heard one myself, it was fabulous.

Jump to: