The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JukejointbluesOffline
Post subject: Why did Joe Dean record only one 78 record? Is it rare?  PostPosted: Aug 28, 2014 - 11:04 AM
Level 2
Level 2

I was looking at the highest priced records on Ebay and came across one priced at $50,000 dollars!!! The record is a 78 by Joe Dean with 2 songs -- I'm so glad i'm twenty-one years old today & Mexico bound blues. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=371128615664

There was a video made using one of the songs on Youtube and it was a really good song. A website in Germany had some info about Joe Dean, but not much.

Just curious if anyone knows why he only recorded one record because he was a good piano player. Also, does anyone here own one of these? Thanks!

Reply with quote Back to top
karloffsidekick
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 28, 2014 - 11:52 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

The seller has listed 451 items in the past 3 months with zero (read Zip, Zilch, Nil) sales in
that time...something tells me he may be a wee tad overpriced....just sayin'.

RZ

JukejointbluesOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 28, 2014 - 12:02 PM
Level 2
Level 2

karloffsidekick wrote:
The seller has listed 451 items in the past 3 months with zero (read Zip, Zilch, Nil) sales in
that time...something tells me he may be a wee tad overpriced....just sayin'.

RZ

Thanks for replying. I would still like to know why Joe Dean made only one record. Was it common for musicians back then to only record one single record in their entire career?

CaptainVagueOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 28, 2014 - 12:18 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

There is a big difference between what an artist records and what a record company releases. It is certainly possible that Joe Dean recorded dozens of songs at one or more recording sessions, only one of which was ever released.

"When he did show up we had a hard time finding something for him to do. Then one day he shows up and puts that great slide on "No Expectations". That was the last contribution I think Brian ever made." - Mick Jagger

JukejointbluesOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 28, 2014 - 12:51 PM
Level 2
Level 2

CaptainVague wrote:
There is a big difference between what an artist records and what a record company releases. It is certainly possible that Joe Dean recorded dozens of songs at one or more recording sessions, only one of which was ever released.

Thanks for the reply. It seems to be like looking for a needle in a haystack. There's just not much info on Google, Bing, Yahoo or here about Joe Dean. Maybe the record was just sold in his hometown and he bought some copies for his family and friends??? If anyone else knows of any other recordings by him, or can provide any other info on this it is appreciated!

mackdaddygOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 28, 2014 - 12:58 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Jukejointblues wrote:
I would still like to know why Joe Dean made only one record. Was it common for musicians back then to only record one single record in their entire career?

I think the norm would be:

1. Record company records some tracks by an artist

2. They release a single

2a. If it sells, they release another single

2b. If it doesn't, they don't release any more singles

I'm assuming this guy's record didn't sell well, so that was it.

You might look up people like John Tefteller or Joe Bussard. Both are long time 78 collectors. Maybe they can tell you more about this artist. They may already own this record...and others as well!

JukejointbluesOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 28, 2014 - 01:04 PM
Level 2
Level 2

mackdaddyg wrote:
Jukejointblues wrote:
I would still like to know why Joe Dean made only one record. Was it common for musicians back then to only record one single record in their entire career?

I think the norm would be:

1. Record company records some tracks by an artist

2. They release a single

2a. If it sells, they release another single

2b. If it doesn't, they don't release any more singles

I'm assuming this guy's record didn't sell well, so that was it.

You might look up people like John Tefteller or Joe Bussard. Both are long time 78 collectors. Maybe they can tell you more about this artist. They may already own this record...and others as well!

Thanks for the reply and leads for more info!

rooster
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 28, 2014 - 01:32 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

There are no more records by Joe Dean. That one record is it. Dean himself confirmed this in an interview in Blues Unlimited (#127) in 1977. Everything there is to know about Joe Dean is in that interview (and there's not much). In short, Joe Dean was born on April 25, 1908 in St. Louis, Missouri. He did that one session in 1930 for Brunswick and was never called back. Dean became a Preacher sometime in the 1950's. He continued to play music into the 1960's. He died on June 24, 1981 in St. Louis, Missouri.

rooster

JukejointbluesOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 28, 2014 - 01:36 PM
Level 2
Level 2

rooster wrote:
There are no more records by Joe Dean. That one record is it. Dean himself confirmed this in an interview in Blues Unlimited (#127) in 1977. Everything there is to know about Joe Dean is in that interview (and there's not much). In short, Joe Dean was born on April 25, 1908 in St. Louis, Missouri. He did that one session in 1930 for Brunswick and was never called back. Dean became a Preacher sometime in the 1950's. He continued to play music into the 1960's. He died on June 24, 1981 in St. Louis, Missouri.

rooster

Thanks for the info Rooster...although I had already seen as much on the german blues website I looked at. Appreciate the reply.

Out of curiousity, you mentioned he did a session for Brunswick, who owned Vocalion. Do you think the record was released on Vocalion only, or is there a Brunswick version too?

ewingtonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 01, 2014 - 09:08 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

info on Joe Dean very easy to find on Google:

http://www.wirz.de/music/deanfrm.htm

http://jrock.com.ar/?name=Joe_Dean

Jump to: