The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
wand143Offline
Post subject: Part Two: Other Things You Find At Flea Markets, Thrifts....  PostPosted: Aug 15, 2014 - 05:54 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Time to resurrect an old thread. If I spent my time at flea markets looking exclusively for records, I may be out of there in only an hour but I wouldn't have as much fun. So, like most people, I look at STUFF...and I find stuff!
One of the neater finds at one of the fleas was also the oldest thing on my shelves: a 400 million year old trilobite! I got "Trilby" from a rock-hound who had a bunch of single specimens for $10 each and the little guy was almost perfectly preserved in a 3" oval rock. He replaces another trilobite I had as a kid which I found in the fossil-loaded limestone of our Cincinnati suburb but I made the mistake of taking the guy to school and he got stolen.
So, it's still flea market season and the thrifts and garage / yard / boot sales are still in full swing...what are YOU finding?

Reply with quote Back to top
wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: RE: Part Two: Other Things You Find At Flea Markets, Thrifts  PostPosted: Aug 15, 2014 - 02:40 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

chain saws, car parts, guns, ammo, arrows, army stuff, lube and cleaners for my garage [most are free or nearly free at sales in the rockies], knives, old swords, tools, antique stuff and best of all records. here there aren't very many that come up for sale but when they do i'm the only one that looks at them. spent 2 hours going thru some that were advertized in the newspaper and not a single other person even gave them a glance or asked if there were any beatles or elvis in them.

geo58000Offline
Post subject: RE: Part Two: Other Things You Find At Flea Markets, Thrifts  PostPosted: Aug 16, 2014 - 01:41 PM
Level 5
Level 5

Vintage lighted Tavern Signs, beer-only, for the old ManCave.
I've gotten about 1/3 of my collection from the flea market.
Cheap, too!

wand143Offline
Post subject: RE: Part Two: Other Things You Find At Flea Markets, Thrifts  PostPosted: Aug 16, 2014 - 06:18 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Yeah, the signs are turning up for cheap - even the "Christian" thrifts carry them.
I just spent an hour in an independent second-hand store (no charity - the guy who runs it is a "picker" but his price are reasonable) where the aisles were well-categorized; clothing in one section, DVD's and CD's in another...yeah, he had vinyl, too, but the 45s were either common or beat or both (a flat 99 cents each for either LPs or singles) and the LPs were TUC (he just got in a new shipment of clean - gasp! - Henry Mancini LPs). Almost got myself a Tiny Tim bobble-head for $7.99, but my wife was going to wonder why I wasted debt on such a knick-knack so I passed. Best thing in the store is a sign: "One Day Warranty On All Electronics".

geo58000Offline
Post subject: RE: Part Two: Other Things You Find At Flea Markets, Thrifts  PostPosted: Aug 16, 2014 - 11:35 PM
Level 5
Level 5

wand143 wrote:
Yeah, the signs are turning up for cheap - even the "Christian" thrifts carry them.
I just spent an hour in an independent second-hand store (no charity - the guy who runs it is a "picker" but his price are reasonable) where the aisles were well-categorized; clothing in one section, DVD

Well, In Milwaukee, I'd expect a lot of cool tavern signs to turn up in the thrifts...
but here in Colorado, it's pretty much all Coors. Sad

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: RE: Part Two: Other Things You Find At Flea Markets, Thrifts  PostPosted: Aug 17, 2014 - 10:04 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

i bought a "st pauli girl" big neon last week, now i have to find a box big enough for it to fit in

j_loopOffline
Post subject: RE: Part Two: Other Things You Find At Flea Markets, Thrifts  PostPosted: Aug 17, 2014 - 11:56 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I look for beer-related items too, but no signs unless they're very old. Mostly pint glasses of micro-breweries, bottle openers, wooden crates etc.. I posted something a while back, but is "part one" of this thread gone? As a home brewer I look for useful items, but they rarely turn up. It just so happens that most people don't have 8 or 10 gallon stainless steel pots for sale...preferably with a spigot....

vinylhoundOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 17, 2014 - 07:59 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

http://postimg.org/image/gp5hxgdu1/

http://postimg.org/image/u0yp6nguh/

http://postimg.org/image/btvrsrggv/

vinyl1Offline
Post subject: Re: RE: Part Two: Other Things You Find At Flea Markets, Thr  PostPosted: Aug 18, 2014 - 07:23 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

wand143 wrote:
I just spent an hour in an independent second-hand store (no charity - the guy who runs it is a "picker" but his price are reasonable) where the aisles were well-categorized; clothing in one section, DVD's and CD's in another...yeah, he had vinyl, too, but the 45s were either common or beat or both (a flat 99 cents each for either LPs or singles) and the LPs were TUC (he just got in a new shipment of clean - gasp! - Henry Mancini LPs). Almost got myself a Tiny Tim bobble-head for $7.99, but my wife was going to wonder why I wasted debt on such a knick-knack so I passed. Best thing in the store is a sign: "One Day Warranty On All Electronics".

There is actually some collector interest in clean Living Stereo black dog Harry Mancini. They are difficult to find in truly NM condition.

vinylhoundOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 20, 2014 - 11:07 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

^
They must be buying from clueless sellers.

Jump to: