The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
kleraudioOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Turntable questions :)  PostPosted: Sep 04, 2014 - 12:49 PM
Level 2
Level 2

CactusCowboy wrote:
kleraudio wrote:

The problem is I would really like my next table to have USB connectivity for my musical pursuits. I am a heavy vinyl sampler.

I've got my eye on that U-turn Orbit now for 180 bucks. It seems pretty damn nice at that price. I do like that LP-120 but it seems just a bit bulky and has way more features than I would ever want. I like the more streamlined look.

Whatya guys think of the Orbit? Has really nice reviews so far. I figure if I get something like that, I can keep the Numark deck around for when I sample vinyl into Ableton and only use it for that.

I dunno, my head is really spinning. And it's not like i have some super duper system to play it out of either. I have 2 powered Yamaha HS-5 that I use for mixing audio. That will be my playback system in my tiny little studio which will double as my listening room as there is no room in the living room for a set up that I would like.

You really don't need "USB connectivity" on a turntable to listen to records or do vinyl to digital transfers.

I use the following:

1) Technics SP-15 or Technics SL-1200 for playback.
2) connected to a stand alone phono preamp (Bugle Pro)
3) connected to the input on a M-Box Pro analog-to-digital interface
4) connected to my PC via firewire (Goldwave software for creating & editing WAV files)
5) output of the M-Box Pro connected to a line level input on a conventional stereo receiver & speakers.

Your Mbox has RCA inputs?

I have the Presonus Firestudio and was thinking about doing the same thing. I have a bunch of 1/4" inputs that I can use. Can I just get an RCA to 1/4" cable and use one for left and one for right? I can combine the inputs within ableton to get a stereo track. Just need to know if an RCA to 1/4 cable would screw things up?

Thanks!

Reply with quote Back to top
kleraudioOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Turntable questions :)  PostPosted: Sep 04, 2014 - 09:46 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Well I went and ordered the Orbit Basic! I feel its a great compromise as I don't really have 400 bucks to drop on a table right now.

I'm REALLY excited to get it next month (hopefully) and it'll be a HUGE step up from what i'm playing now I think.

Now I need to order a phono pre amp and a volume control as I'm plugging into studio powered monitors but don't want to reach behind each individual speaker to change volume.

I think I'll be happy for a while and when I'm ready to upgrade (move to an apartment with more space) this Orbit should have decent resale value.

ChadFromCanadaOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Turntable questions :)  PostPosted: Sep 05, 2014 - 04:56 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Speaking of pre-amps, I've got the NAD PP 3i which has a USB out to help with digital transferring (I needed a quality one anyway because my receiver doesn't have phono inputs, and I figured I might as well get the USB functionality as future-proofing in case I ever decide to digitize a few LPs). I have not used it yet TBH, but I can only assume that it functions better than a USB TT if digitizing music is what you're after (and having tried one of those crappy USB TTs for that purpose and returning it within a few hours). CactusCowboy knows his stuff though as he does it for a living.

kimzterOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Turntable questions :)  PostPosted: Sep 06, 2014 - 02:40 AM
Level 3
Level 3

ChadFromCanada wrote:
Speaking of pre-amps, I've got the NAD PP 3i which has a USB out to help with digital transferring (I needed a quality one anyway because my receiver doesn't have phono inputs, and I figured I might as well get the USB functionality as future-proofing in case I ever decide to digitize a few LPs). I have not used it yet TBH, but I can only assume that it functions better than a USB TT if digitizing music is what you're after (and having tried one of those crappy USB TTs for that purpose and returning it within a few hours). CactusCowboy knows his stuff though as he does it for a living.

I have the same preamp. I found for digitizing music it worked better to hook the output? cables directly into the sound card jack in the computer than it did with the usb.

Jump to: