The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
philiprollettOffline
Post subject: ION Turntable for a starter??  PostPosted: Oct 05, 2014 - 08:30 AM
Level 2
Level 2

Hello,

I'm looking to buy a starter speakers built in record player for a friends birthday and I was wondering if anyone had come across these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Max-LP-Conversion-Turntable-Speakers/dp/B00COC61LO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412515727&sr=8-1&keywords=ion+turntable

The player has good reviews on Amazon but that's not always reliable. What is everyones thoughts?

Reply with quote Back to top
CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: RE: ION Turntable for a starter??  PostPosted: Oct 06, 2014 - 10:12 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

I'm not familiar with that model but a few years ago a friend gave me his record collection along with an Ion turntable, TT-USB if I remember correctly. I was wholly unimpressed with the Ion. It was clearly very low quality, lots of plastic, and Made In China. So I passed it on, giving it away.

The unit you're looking at would probably be OK for a youngster or a casual listener less concerned with quality playback. I do know folks who are happy with inexpensive Ion and Crosley turntables.

If "Hi Fi" quality is the goal, a vintage turntable, amps and speakers would be a better value for the money and likely give far better results.

If buying new is preferred, you might look at the Audio Technica AT-PL120. I have a friend who owns it and for what it is (Technics SL-1200 clone) it's not bad.

I_AM_CANADIANOffline
Post subject: RE: ION Turntable for a starter??  PostPosted: Oct 06, 2014 - 06:22 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I can second the AT-LP120 recommendation - I have one right now - but it's a more expensive turntable, around $300 on Amazon, and sans built-in speakers.

vinyl1Offline
Post subject: RE: ION Turntable for a starter??  PostPosted: Oct 08, 2014 - 09:07 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

The Ion turntables are widely known as the biggest pieces of garbage of all time, and will ruin your records in short order.

I suggest you look to the turntable forum on audiokarma.org for advice on a starter turntable. Unfortunately, the selection of new turntables in the lower price ranges is rather sparse.

geo58000Offline
Post subject: RE: ION Turntable for a starter??  PostPosted: Oct 12, 2014 - 09:23 PM
Level 5
Level 5

Be patient, and go vintage.
Not to be morbid, but nowadays are a boomtime for 70's-80's vintage equipment, as
many folks who bought nice mid-line to top-of-the-line systems are passing on, and their kids don't want to deal with
selling it. A lot of these systems are ending up in thrift stores, for pennies on the dollar.
A $35 Marantz/ Pioneer/ Akai /Dual turntable may only need a new belt, or a cartridge/stylus.
Total cost: usually less than $200.

Jump to: