The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
wand143Offline
Post subject: "Yellow Submarine" (45) - Decca (USA) Pressing  PostPosted: Oct 08, 2014 - 04:46 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

So a few weeks ago I'm selling singles to my friend and I made sure to include a chunk of Beatles singles because he's always struggling to keep them in his sales stock. He comes across a copy of "Yellow Submarine" and says to me "Whoa! You better keep this one! See the number? It's a Decca contract pressing!" So I look and notice that the catalog number is in the print style of a Decca 45 (but it was easy to miss because of all the writing on the label - the B-side is clearer). Is there a story behind this? And is there really a substantial difference in value?

Reply with quote Back to top
namralosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 09, 2014 - 06:24 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

There are contract pressings of almost every single from "I Want to Hold Your Hand" through "Long and Winding Road." The Beatles sold records so quickly that Capitol often used one (or two) of Decca's factories and/or one (or two) of RCA Victor's factories to press additional copies of Beatles records. Most of these do not sell for more than standard Capitol-made copies.

However, there were a few instances when the contracts had something special about them. In the case of "Yellow Submarine," some copies pressed at Decca's Gloversville plant have labels that also went through Decca -- instead of labels that they received from one of Capitol's usual printers. The catalog number "5715" looks thinner than the usual east-coast copies.

http://www.collectorsfrenzy.com/details/231056446666/BEATLES_YELLOW_SUBMARINE_45_SINGLE_CAPITOL_SWIRL_RECORD_DECCA_CONTRACT

They don't go for a whole lot more than standard copies, but they do sell for a bit more.

annaloogOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 09, 2014 - 11:26 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

namralos wrote:
... The Beatles sold records so quickly that Capitol often used one (or two) of Decca's factories and/or one (or two) of RCA Victor's factories to press additional copies of Beatles records....
Keel Mfg. (Hauppage, NY) was another. One of my copies of Apple 2654, with Scranton-style labels, appears to have been pressed there ... it has that Pickwick budget label 'look'.

namralosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 13, 2014 - 12:54 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

That's interesting. I have a copy of "Get Back" (Apple 2490) with a "K" in the matrix on both sides.

My copies of "Something" that are contracts all have identifying marks indicating that they're RCA pressings.

annaloogOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 13, 2014 - 11:25 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

namralos wrote:
... My copies of "Something" that are contracts all have identifying marks indicating that they're RCA pressings.
This copy has no such indicators. Matrix nos. are handwritten X 46992 X2 and X 46991 F20.

Heh, FTM, I have a copy of Apple 1813, hardly a hot seller, that likewise appears to have been pressed at Keel Mfg. On both copies the 360 interlocking serrations are absent, which rules out a Scranton pressing despite the label typesetting. Perhaps significantly, both 45s were issued in Oct 1969.

Sorry, wand, I don't mean to derail your thread.

namralosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 15, 2014 - 02:54 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

There are "incomplete matrix" pressings of several of the singles.

These were contract pressings, but since they were not marked with ANY factory indicator, it is simply not possible without seeing paperwork to know who pressed them.

annaloogOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 16, 2014 - 06:53 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

A little commentary (including label scans) regarding contract pressings ....

Capitol 5715

Apple 2654

Jump to: