The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
CaptainVagueOffline
Post subject: A Day in the Life  PostPosted: Oct 09, 2014 - 06:10 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Driving home today the local radio station played Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise) and A day in the Life by the Beatles. Now when this came out in 1967 my mom bought it for me and my brother, I was 10 and he was 14, right when it came out. We wore that LP out. Between the radio and playing my own copies over the years I've heard that tune about 897 times. Now in the middle part where Paul sings "I made the bus in seconds flat, found my way upstairs and had a smoke, somebody spoke and I went into a dream" I had always assumed that the bus had taken him to his destination, some office building or something, where he went upstairs and had a smoke. Today it dawned on me... he found his way upstairs on a double decker bus, had his smoke and went into a dream when somebody spoke, on the bus. Funny how you can hear things all your life, and then one day you hear it differently. Shocked

"When he did show up we had a hard time finding something for him to do. Then one day he shows up and puts that great slide on "No Expectations". That was the last contribution I think Brian ever made." - Mick Jagger

Reply with quote Back to top
B_big.Offline
27 Post subject: Double-decker buses  PostPosted: Oct 11, 2014 - 02:38 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

CaptainVague wrote:
. . . he found his way upstairs on a double decker bus, had his smoke and went into a dream when somebody spoke, on the bus. Funny how you can hear things all your life, and then one day you hear it differently. Shocked
( ( ( ( ( ((((((( .
      This wouldn't have happened when you would have lived in Berlin/Germany or London/England at that time! In both of these cities the public transport uses double-decker buses regularly - ever since I can remember. In these days smoking was permitted on the top floor of these buses.

Latest double-decker_Berlin.jpg
 Description:
Berlin's latest double-decker
 Filesize:  23.03 KB
 Viewed:  155 Time(s)

Latest double-decker_Berlin.jpg

london-doppeldecker bus-routemaster-prototyp-1-580x386.jpg
 Description:
The latest prototype of London's double-decker
 Filesize:  55.86 KB
 Viewed:  155 Time(s)

london-doppeldecker bus-routemaster-prototyp-1-580x386.jpg

the fine art of record cover & sleeve & more
berlin/germany/europe/planet earth/milky way/universe

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: RE: Double-decker buses  PostPosted: Oct 11, 2014 - 10:06 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

neat pics, never see anything like this around near the little town of nervous, new mexico.

wand143Offline
Post subject: RE: Double-decker buses  PostPosted: Oct 12, 2014 - 04:16 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Of course, some wags claim that the "smoke" was actually a joint...but you know what they said about "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds"....

geo58000Offline
Post subject: RE: Double-decker buses  PostPosted: Oct 12, 2014 - 09:36 PM
Level 5
Level 5

What I'd like to know is how some radio stations , back in 1967, got a "clean" version of ADITL.
I have a couple of KHJ airchecks that open with just the acoustic guitar, minus the crowd noises on the LP.
Where did this come from?

Jump to: