The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
wwotr
Post subject: How Hot can it get, before your vinyl collection suffers?  PostPosted: Jul 31, 2014 - 07:59 PM
Level 5
Level 5

Lately it was been as hot as 94-96 degrees in my "Music Room".
Granted, its only been a couple of days so far this Summer.
Usually it stay around 84-86 Degrees,from
about 3pm-9pm during the Hottest Summer days.
My vinyl is stored vertically (straight up & down).
Usually that hottest temp is for about 6 hours straight.
So it got me to thinking, at what point (degree),
should I start being concerned about my vinyl.
So far it looks fine.

I usually don't have this issue,
but for the last 3 weeks we have had a young petl,
that is having an issue with the heat,
so my room AC has gone to her, until she recovers.

WWOTR

Always looking for "Rare, Limited, Private Pressings",
of Classic Rock from the 60's/70's, On Vinyl/CD/DVD.
Feel Free to send me your Lists.
I can be reached at:
wwotr1@verizon.net

Reply with quote Back to top
j_loopOffline
Post subject: RE: How Hot can it get, before your vinyl collection suffers  PostPosted: Aug 01, 2014 - 11:37 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I wouldn't worry about mid -90's especially if stored vertically as mentioned.

GraemeOffline
Post subject: RE: How Hot can it get, before your vinyl collection suffers  PostPosted: Aug 01, 2014 - 09:24 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Temperatures here can reach into the 40's Centigrade - that's well over 100 F - but it's never been a problem. Vertical storage is the secret.

Recommended temperatures for archival storage are much lower, but that's not really an issue for members here.

RidinTheWind
Post subject: RE: How Hot can it get, before your vinyl collection suffers  PostPosted: Aug 02, 2014 - 01:08 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

As long as they are stored properly, you'll do fine.

To show how much heat records can tolerate, during the winter, I once leaned a scrap LP without a jacket or sleeve at an angle against a furnace register with a book leaning on it. I needed a warped record to try out an idea for unwarping. Well, after several hours, it still had no warp. I eventually made one with a conventional light bulb.

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: RE: How Hot can it get, before your vinyl collection suffers  PostPosted: Aug 02, 2014 - 06:10 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

somewhere on here i wrote about the old sun warehouse in KC, it mustave been 150 degrees in there in the summertime. not a single record was warped. but here in the rockies because of the cold nites and warm days a record can warp just on a 15 second trip to the jeep if it's cold edge is exposed to our hot sun.

wand143Offline
Post subject: RE: How Hot can it get, before your vinyl collection suffers  PostPosted: Aug 14, 2014 - 05:39 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I did an experiment on a 4th Of July when it was expected to top out at 101 degrees: I took a bum record (it was cracked anyway and I got it for free) and laid it out flat on our concrete patio. After four hours of direct sunlight, it warped a little (it bowed maybe a fraction of an inch) but it didn't look like the black lasagna noodle I was expecting. However, I've had records poorly stashed on the foot well of my car on a warm (but still sunny) day and found one or two with the edge substantially warped. Conclusion: it wasn't so much the warmth or the sunlight as it was the magnified sunlight coming through a window - THAT may have intensified the warping.

nevrstpOffline
Post subject: High Heat  PostPosted: Oct 06, 2014 - 01:03 PM
Level 4
Level 4

For 10 years I lived on the top floor of a 3 story condo complex. Believe it or not I only ran my heating system on three occations in those 10 years. Even on the most frigid nights in winter the coldest I ever found the inside temperature was 53 degrees farenheit, basically getting free heat from the floors below. In July I would simply vacate and not return till 9 pm at night as the air conditioning was unable to reduce the temperatures it got so hot. The highest I recorded with my thermometer was 97 degrees and I too was concerned about my records. I have to report none were warped due to that exposure and yes all were kept vertical. - My 2 cnts

Jump to: