The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
speedmasterOffline
Post subject: New collector in need of some advice  PostPosted: Oct 12, 2014 - 12:49 AM
Level 1
Level 1

I would love to know where people on this site go for more information regarding their systems and music collections.
I'm currently looking for either a full hi fi system or a turntable and speakers - the problem is I'm a bit overwhelmed about all the information out there.
Should I get a complete system or just a turntable and build it?
I am really keen on buying an older system for nostalgic reasons but I'm not sure which ones to look for. I love Marantz because my Dad owned a great Marantz system.

Basically I'm looking for more resources online to check out and this site looks like the perfect place to get them.

Your advice would be much appreciated Very Happy

Reply with quote Back to top
CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: RE: New collector in need of some advice  PostPosted: Oct 12, 2014 - 08:20 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Hello and welcome to the RCG. Yard sales and thrift shops would be the best places to pick up vintage gear for little money. However, 30-40 year old gear will often need refurbishing. Belt drive turntables usually need a new belt. Auto return mechanisms get gummed up with dried out grease. A new stylus (needle) or new cartridge is often needed. Vintage amps and receivers often need to have bad capacitors replaced, potentiometers cleaned, etc... Speakers will frequently have the bass foam surrounds rotted out. All of this can be fixed if you're handy. The RCG will likely not be the best resource for refurbishing old gear, but a specific google search such as "refoaming speakers" will yield results.

vinyl1Offline
Post subject: RE: New collector in need of some advice  PostPosted: Oct 12, 2014 - 09:06 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

It depends on what you want, and your budget. Some guys spend $100, some guys spend $100K.

The turntable, speaker, and electronics forums at audiokarma.org will yield a lot of valuable advice if you are looking for good-sounding vintage equipment at a reasonable price.

geo58000Offline
Post subject: RE: New collector in need of some advice  PostPosted: Oct 12, 2014 - 09:08 PM
Level 5
Level 5

Audiokarma is a great site for this sort of thing:
http://www.audiokarma.org/

B_big.Offline
17 Post subject: Hi-fi equipment information  PostPosted: Oct 13, 2014 - 01:07 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

speedmaster wrote:
. . . Should I get a complete system or just a turntable and build it? . . .

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( .
      First of all: Welcome to the Guild!
      Regarding your question, I don't know whether this is really a good place to collect satisfactory informations regarding hi-fi equipment. We have some topics regarding the equipment of our members, like the Turntable Gallery were you can see for instance both of my favorite toys, and of course the toys of other members as well.
      There's another topic regarding Hardware and Accessories Questions. Maybe these will give you a clue what to look for.

We're glad about each new member who's seriously interested in music in general, and vinyl recordings in particular. So, stay tuned, ask questions and let us know about your progress in finding a neat hi-fi set-up.

the fine art of record cover & sleeve & more
berlin/germany/europe/planet earth/milky way/universe

Fifty-FiftyOffline
Post subject: RE: Hi-fi equipment information  PostPosted: Oct 18, 2014 - 03:52 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Hi speedmaster,

Pardon me if this is too basic, but the basic elements of an analog audio system are:

1. Turntable (which includes tonearm and cartridge--the thing that goes on the end of the tonearm and holds the stylus)
2. Phono preamp (aka phono stage), which equalizes and amplifies the turntable's output
3. Preamp, which allows you to control and adjust the signal (volume, balance, tone controls, etc.)
4. Amplifier, which amplifies the signal
5. Speakers, which convert the signal to sound

In many cases, some of these items are combined in a single unit. Some turntables have built-in phono stages. Preamp/amplifier combos are common; if they also include a radio, they are called receivers.

If you're buying new, a decent system is going to cost at least $500. You can also spend $500,000. Used items can be cheaper, but require more knowledge to shop for and assess.

Hope this helps.

Jump to: