The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
rooster
Post subject: The Blenders/The Accents US 45 Discography  PostPosted: Sep 10, 2014 - 07:02 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

The Blenders US 45 discography

This group has NO connection to Earl Curry and the Blenders, Joe Frazier and the Blenders, The Blenders (on Decca) or any other group of Blenders.

The Blenders had formed while they were all in grammar school together. their original lead singer had left the group and was replaced by James "Zeke" Brown who had sung with the Calvaes. Shortly afterwards they met Carl Davis who with Bill "Bunky" Sheppard managed the group and got them a one record deal with the Aladdin label.

Aladdin 3449
Two Loves/Soda Shop; 1959
( Carl Davis took the group to Universal studios in Chicago to record. "Two Loves" was popular in Chicago as it was played by Al Benson [for whom Carl Davis was working] and Herb Kent, The Cool Gent on the larger radio stations in Chicago. According to James"Zeke" Brown, Blenders lead singer, the problem with the record was that the Aladdin label was near the end of it's existence as a force in music and had very little in the way of promotion and distribution muscle. He claimed that he knew people who had gone to record stores asking for the record and were unable to obtain it locally. After this release The Blenders became acquainted with Jim Lounsbury, who had a Chicago television show and promoted teen dances/sock hops in the area. He used The Blenders at these dances quite often, and this led to their second release.)

Debbie Stevens
APT 25027
If You Can't Rock Me/What Will I Tell My Heart; 1959
(The Blenders are the uncredited vocal group on the "B" side. They have NO involvement on the "A" side. "Debbie Stevens" was Jim Lounsbury's wife, Reba Jeanette Smith who had previously recorded under the name "Penny Smith" (for Kahill, ABC Paramount and Chess) and would later sign with Motown (as Debbie Dean) and later still with Sue records (as Debbie Dion). She was also a songwriter for Berry Gordy's Motown family of labels and an actress. According to lead singer, James Brown, at this point the group just drifted apart. The group members, went their separate ways. Parnell Shaw got married, Curtis Campbell entered the service and when his commitment was over, reformed the Blenders who recorded some songs for the Chess label, but they were never released and the group broke up a second time. James "Zeke" Brown continued in music, a few years later joining The Accents.)

I have decided to combine The Blenders and The Accents' Discographies because they're both short and the groups have one common member.

The Accents
This group of Accents were from the southside of Chicago and have no connection to any other Accents groups.

James “Zeke” Brown who had previously sung with The Calvaes and The Blenders. He had left The Blenders in 1958 and hadn't sung with any other groups until he was approached by Donald Motley in 1962. Motley remembered his previous groups and asked him to join a new group, The Acoustics. Motley brought Brown to the group's manager, Bernice Williams (Williams also managed the Chicago Group, The Starlettes, but was best known for later managing The Dukays and still later Gene Chandler as a solo act. She also co-wrote "Duke Of Earl".) Brown auditioned and was accepted into the group. Two things happened immediately before their first recording session. One member abruptly left to join another group (Craedel "Red" Jones had recorded with The Desideros before he was in the Acoustics and rejoined an old band mate and former members of The Chaunteurs to form The Hi-Lites who after a period of time evolved into Chicago Soul group, The Chi-Lites). The second event was that the group decided top change their name from The Acoustics to The Accents (One word on the the group's name...Many sources claim that the original, pre-recording group name was The Ascots, But According to James "Zeke" Brown, in a 2006 interview, the original name was The Acoustics.)

Mercury 72154
Enchanted Garden/Tell Me Now; 1963
(The Labels credit "The Accents with Riley Hampton And His Orchestra". Riley Hampton was known in Chicago for his arranging abilities and for having been an Alto Sax Player with Red Saunders and his Orchestra. Through Bernice Williams and Riley Hampton, The Accents get a recording deal with Mercury Records. The session was produced by the well known David Carroll. The session produced four songs, only two of which were ever released. "Zeke" Brown sang lead on "Enchanted Garden", but it was felt that the song needed something more, and so, Brown re-entered the studio and overdubbed whistling so as to imitate bird songs. "Enchanted Garden" got a lot of Radio Airplay in Chicago. Herb Kent, The Kool Gent played the song quite often and they began to do a lot dances that Kent was producing at the time. Another development at this time was the departure of Donald Motley from the group. The Accents decide to continue as a quartet rather than replace him.)

M-Pac 7216
New Girl/ Do You Need A Good Man; 1964
(The labels credit "Accents" without the definite article. The Mercury Records deal fell through somehow. Zeke Brown never knew the particulars, but was just told one day that the group was going to audition for George and Ernie Leaner's One-Derful label. The Leaners were the nephews of radio personality George Benson (whose real name was Albert Benson). They had also run United Record Distributors in Chicago since 1950. The brothers had started the One-Derful label to record Soul singer McKinley Mitchell in 1962. The Leaners agree to record The Accents who went into the studio and recorded two new songs. The Accents are now singing in a new style called Soul Music. The resulting record was released on the subsidiary label, M-Pac. "New Girl (In The Neighborhood)" was a hit in Chicaco. It is played extensively by Herb Kent, The Kool Gent on WVON Radio. As a side note, WVON was owned by Phil And Leonard Chess at the time. The song was a #5 hit locally. It is said that the song was also played on Chicago's top 40 radio station, WLS, and made it to #28 on that station's hit list. The Accents were able to tour the Midwest, Canada and some East Coast cities behind the record. Please make note that some copies of "New Girl" have turned up with the label mistitled "Spring Song". How this happened is a mystery as "New Girl had always carried that title.)

After the release of "New Girl" , The Accents go to a Barbara Lewis (of "Hello Stranger" fame) recording session to do backup work. Nobody seems to know how this came about. Barbara Lewis' sessions in Chicago at Chess, were usually backed by The Dells. Four songs were recorded the titles of which have been forgotten by the principals involved.

One-derful 4833
You Better Think Again/Who You Gonna Love?; 1965
(This final Accents record was not promoted very well by One-derful (even though it was released on the parent label, this time) and it quickly disappeared. the group received royalty statements from One-derful that claimed they owed the label $25,000. That was the last straw for the group and they disbanded.

Of the Members of The Accents, only one, Jimmy Short continued in music. He joined The Original Breed (on the Karol label) later evolving into The People's Choice (on The Veroneeca label) and finally joining the Soul group The Artistics (on Brunswick) for that group's last couple of singles around 1972. James "Zeke" Brown retired from singing altogether until the 1980's when he reformed a Calvaes group to do an oldies concert in New Jersey.

Reply with quote Back to top
j_loopOffline
Post subject: RE: The Blenders/The Accents US 45 Discography  PostPosted: Sep 11, 2014 - 12:30 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Love these discographies Rooster, thanks and please keep 'em comin'.

rooster
Post subject: RE: The Blenders/The Accents US 45 Discography  PostPosted: Sep 13, 2014 - 04:49 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Glad you like the discographies, j_loop. I'll keep posting them if you guys keep looking at them. That's the bargain we'll strike up. There's a bunch more in the back pages of this thread if anyone's interested.

rooster

mackdaddygOffline
Post subject: RE: The Blenders/The Accents US 45 Discography  PostPosted: Sep 18, 2014 - 01:45 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Thanks as always for posting this stuff, Rooster. It's great to discover new old music.

Thanks to YouTube, I was able to hear some of these tunes.

Both sides of the Aladdin single are fantastic!!! Love the guitar solos on both songs, and the singing is terrific. Don't think I'll ever find this one in the wild, so it's much appreciated to have the songs brought to my attention via your posting.

Couldn't find the b-side of the Debbie Stevens single, but she sounds pretty good on the a-side.

I really like both sides of the Mercury single, although I think I like the b-side a little more.

The M-Pac and One-derful songs are great mid 60s Soul (although, sadly, I couldn't find the b-side to the M-Pac single on YouTube). Again, I never see anything on either of these labels, so it's great to discover these tunes.

The info and music is fantastic. Thanks again!!!!!!!!

rooster
Post subject: RE: The Blenders/The Accents US 45 Discography  PostPosted: Sep 18, 2014 - 11:07 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

it makes me happy that you're staying tuned, Mack. Both the Debbie Stevens "B" side and the M-Pac "B" side were on you tube once upon a time. From what I can see, they have both been deleted. you never know, they may reappear some day.

This brings you to the end of the "James Zeke Brown" story that we started with The Calvaes. Brown was our common denominator within the three groups. As far as appearing on records, Brown did pretty good for himself. Three groups, seven record releases. Not too shoddy all things considered.

rooster

Jump to: