The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JoeGOffline
Post subject: How Much Is Your Collection Really Worth?  PostPosted: Aug 31, 2012 - 02:01 PM
Level 4
Level 4

This is a post I wrote from the Amoeba website and referenced on VinylBeat.com.

http://www.amoeba.com/blog/2011/05/the-vinyl-beat-record-rants-raves/what-are-lps-really-worth-.html

JoeG

Reply with quote Back to top
hrtshpdbox
Post subject: Re: How Much Is Your Collection Really Worth?  PostPosted: Aug 31, 2012 - 03:06 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Quote:
You might make less...

Might, indeed; how much do you think Ameoba would pay for that theoretical $100k record collection? $20,000, maybe $25,000? That might be a solution for some owners, plenty of others would want to do it piece-by-piece on Ebay.

weletthegoldfishgoOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: How Much Is Your Collection Really Worth?  PostPosted: Aug 31, 2012 - 11:16 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I think if the seller is smart, he'll milk this for all it's worth. If he's gonna spend 20 hours per week selling, he might as well go all out and make a real business out of it. Going to shows, buying more records, etc. Then his travel expenses compute in there, he gets to go to some cool new zoos and museums and clubs in diifferent cities, makes a few dollars, has quite a lot of expenses, doesn't really factor in $10 per hour wage since he's self-employed, etc. He drives 12,000 miles in the quest for new records and selling his stock, and so the government gives him a Standard Mileage Rate deduction of 55 cents per mile which multiplies out to be a $6,600. figure. And because he's thrifty, he spends a few nights on the road in his van or in a campsight and with his man's best friend companion, roasts tofu pups over the fire for himself and turkey franks for the k-9.

This scenario can go on with much more. I'm self-employed and know the ropes. Eventually the seller is operating at about a 2K loss each year, but he's working for himself, not paying one red cent in taxes, and has a great record collection. Er, he has a 30 year old cartridge and stylus on a garage sale Linn Sondek, though. WOOHOO!

ShadySamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 01, 2012 - 04:46 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

more than the peanuts some rip-off picker is surely gonna offer me (but i should sell now, i dunno)...

vinyl1Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 01, 2012 - 05:51 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

They kind of gloss over the truth, that the wholesale value of ordinary records is 10% of retail. For collectibles, it is maybe 20% of retail. If you bring in a large collection, then, you'll be lucky to get 15% of what they think they can sell the individual records for.

The rest of the money goes to rent, salaries, insurance, taxes, etc.

hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 01, 2012 - 07:36 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

vinyl1 wrote:
If you bring in a large collection, then, you'll be lucky to get 15% of what they think they can sell the individual records for.

But that's what a dealer wants you to think, that you are lucky to get a fraction of their value - just think of all that work you saved. For some people, I'm sure that's a solution.

CTcollectorOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 01, 2012 - 10:13 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Although I do have a couple of fairly valuable pieces in my collection (some are pictured on my website below) - I have never really considered what my collection is WORTH, simply because I generally ONLY collect for pleasure, and not for monetary reasons. I KNOW that the chances of selling my collection for what it is really 'worth' are very, very slim - so, I'll just enjoy my collection until I die, and then someday my son can sell it for whatever he can get for it.

RidinTheWind
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 01, 2012 - 01:44 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I collect for pleasure too, which means my collection is priceless to me.

SID
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 01, 2012 - 01:49 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

RidinTheWind wrote:
I collect for pleasure too, which means my collection is priceless to me.

Good answer,RTW !

JoeGOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 01, 2012 - 02:19 PM
Level 4
Level 4

I seem to have struck a nerve regarding selling to a record store. The article was meant to paint a realistic picture of what a collection is worth. It didn't hide the fact that stores can't pay top dollar for obvious retail reasons. FWIW, the range at Amoeba is from 40-50% for high end collectibles that will sell fast (Blue Notes, minty Beatles items, etc.) down to 10-20% for items that will sell in the $5-8 range. I'm not suggesting that you sell us your stuff, especially if you have the time to sell on line. But as the article outlines, the reality is if you're selling a lot of records, you'll be netting about 60% of value. That still might be twice as much as you'd get from a store, but it will take a whole lot of time and work to realize that advantage.

I would also say that for us record collectors, record stores are treasures that we're losing fast. We've all found some wonderful items there and have some great memories, and hopefully you still have a good local store. If you don't get to stores anymore at least try to go for Record Store Day and you'll get that old feeling. The point is that the reason record stores are gone is from lack of support. It's not your fault, as the people on this Forum undoubtedly do try to support them, but it's just that the masses receive their music in different ways these days.

Sorry to ramble a bit, just wanted to defend and explain that record stores pay what they do, just to stay in business.

Thanks,
JoeG

Jump to: