The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
wand143Offline
Post subject: Label Variations To Look For  PostPosted: Oct 09, 2014 - 05:59 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I'm in the process of reorganizing my collection (sorry, no reductions...) and as I'm going through it I'm mentally taking notes of some of the label variations I have to keep the collection interesting. A few "first pressings" some people may not know about include:
Barry Mann - Who Put The Bomp (ABC-Paramount) - no "gold globe" on the left side of the label
The Cryan Shames - Sugar And Spice (Destination) - light blue label
Thurston Harris - Little Bitty Pretty One (Aladdin) - first pressing mentions artist "And The Sharps"
This is just a couple off the top of my head. If anyone has more to add, feel free to do so. I'll have more as I weed through the collection.

Reply with quote Back to top
geo58000Offline
Post subject: RE: Label Variations To Look For  PostPosted: Oct 10, 2014 - 01:38 PM
Level 5
Level 5

Initial copies of Wilbert Harrison's "Let's Work Together" on a red or orange Sue label credit " Wilbert Harrison One Man Band."
Subsequent black label or rainbow labels omit "One Man Band."

wand143Offline
Post subject: RE: Label Variations To Look For  PostPosted: Oct 12, 2014 - 04:05 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

The Rays - Silhouettes - all-yellow or all-dark-blue label - also has the "S-100" secondary catalog number - never figured out if this was a first or second press. I have the dark blue and it's the only one I've seen so far - the yellow turns up on occasion.

namralosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 19, 2014 - 05:50 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

The original XYZ pressing of "Silhouettes" has the S-100 and S-101 matrix numbers. These were probably intended for all XYZ singles at the time. Single X-104 has the matrixing system changed to X-104-G and X-104-H, and single X-105 has X-105 in the matrix, followed by the first letter of the title song.

The copies of the Cameo single that I have seen with the matrix numbers copied onto the label from XYZ were pressed by Columbia Records, who had also pressed some copies of the XYZ single. I suspect that they just kept the label copy the same as what they had used before.

wand143Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 22, 2014 - 05:38 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

That'd be my guess, too, and my blue label copy also has a Columbia master number on it.

webkrawlerrOffline
Post subject: Re: Label Variations To Look For  PostPosted: Oct 31, 2014 - 01:07 AM
Level 2
Level 2

wand143 wrote:
I'm in the process of reorganizing my collection (sorry, no reductions...) and as I'm going through it I'm mentally taking notes of some of the label variations I have to keep the collection interesting. A few "first pressings" some people may not know about include:
Barry Mann - Who Put The Bomp (ABC-Paramount) - no "gold globe" on the left side of the label

I have this version of Who Put The Bomp -
http://clzimages.com/music/users/large/24/24_1576428_0_MannBarry_WhoPutTheBomp.jpg

I always thought of it as a promo but unsure.

wand143Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: Label Variations To Look For  PostPosted: Nov 05, 2014 - 05:38 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

That's a "maybe", web - I have seen stock ABC-Paramount labels in white; my aunt's collection (which I got from her years ago) included an Impressions on ABC on a white label with no "not for sale" markings.

Jump to: