The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
RidinTheWind
Post subject: RE: Novelty records  PostPosted: Jul 14, 2011 - 11:17 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Then, there's the Bob Newhart albums. Some great stuff with the Retirement Party, Driving Instructor (Aw, you hit someone. You were blinded by the light. You were blinded by the flashing red light. You were blinded by the flashing red light on the car you hit! Laughing ), School for Bus Drivers, Cruise of the USS Codfish, and the Grace L. Ferguson Airline and Storm Door Company.

Reply with quote Back to top
wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: RE: Novelty records  PostPosted: Jul 17, 2011 - 11:24 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

bob newhart was a very clever and funny guy back then, i rank him just below freeburg.

recordfan
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 17, 2011 - 06:48 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I feel I have to do this. We have a semantics problem here. More than half of the
things mentioned here are "not" novelty records. There is a major difference between
"novelty" and "comedy" records. Novelty records are things like "Purple people eater",
"Witch Doctor", "They're coming to take me away", Mrs Miller stuff. Homer and Jethro and Spike Jones are mostly novelty. Lots of answer songs are novelty, but not all.

In general, a novelty item is a funny, or humorous "song". Comedy is a spoken word "routine". Bob Newhart is comedy. Bill Cosby's routines are comedy. Stiller and Meara routines are comedy. Abbott and Costello are comedy routines, not novelty routines.

Had this been called "Humorous" records, I would not be arguing the point here. Both Novelty and Comedy records fall under the "humorous" label. Comedy and novelty are not interchangeable words for this stuff.

If this came out as over-bearing, I'm sorry. It's just that I do get really passionate about certain aspects of this stuff. I'd be really surprised if Wurlitzer didn't agree with me on this.

ShadySamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 17, 2011 - 10:37 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

well I have a soft-spot for novelty & (naughty/risque) comedy records, so I'm guilty of posting/enquiring
about both... I was actually thinking the same thing as you recordfan (you're on the ball there dude)!!

ScoopLVOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 17, 2011 - 10:52 PM
Level 5
Level 5

So.... Cheech and Chong's "Big Bambu" would be classified a novelty record only if it has the gigantic rolling paper included? Otherwise it's just a comedy record?

recordfan
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 17, 2011 - 11:46 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

ScoopLV wrote:
So.... Cheech and Chong's "Big Bambu" would be classified a novelty record only if it has the gigantic rolling paper included? Otherwise it's just a comedy record?

If it had the rolling paper and the stuff to fill it, after a few hits, I wouldn't care if the record was called comedy, novelty, rockabilly or gregorian chants.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 17, 2011 - 11:52 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

of coarse i agree with you recordfan, i file my comedy records under "spoken word" because that's what they are, of coarse they're all 45s and they're almost all pre BC. i have separate sections for answer records and novelty records and break in records. in answer to the above post cheech & chong is a lp so it really doesn't fit into any of the catagories we're talking about. i have never listened to "big bambu" so i can't comment on it but i have heard "santa and his old lady" by C&C and it's a comedy routine so it's a comedy record

ShadySamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 18, 2011 - 12:28 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

recordfan wrote:
If it had the rolling paper and the stuff to fill it, after a few hits, I wouldn't care if the record was called comedy, novelty, rockabilly or gregorian chants.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee

wuzzup with this noize-
I found a pristine copy in a junkstore with not one but TWO of the giant papers, for $1.
Unreal there wasn't even a weed-seed in that GF!! Shocked Shocked

wand143Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 18, 2011 - 11:36 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

My sister & I left our paper intact in the album cover on our copy - guess we didn't get what it was used for, or maybe we KNEW...we just never had a desire to use it.
How about "foreign" novelties? I recently found one called "Call Up The Groups" by The Barron Knights which was like the UK's answer to The Four Preps' "The Big Draft" - very funny and EXCELLENT group impersonaltions.

RidinTheWind
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 18, 2011 - 12:07 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I can see the point, but novelty or comedy, as long as it's funny or amusing!

Jump to: