The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
RidinTheWind
Post subject: RE: Johnny Cymbal  PostPosted: Mar 29, 2014 - 01:25 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Baby Let Me Bang Your Box by the Bangers, the label says not for air play. It's actually quite good.

Has anyone mentioned Homer and Jethro? Their version of Sink the Bismark is a howl.

Reply with quote Back to top
RidinTheWind
Post subject: RE: Johnny Cymbal  PostPosted: Mar 31, 2014 - 01:52 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I was listening to this one over the weekend. It's a parody of the Shagralas' "Leader of the Pack", which IMO just cried out for one, "The Leader of the Laundromat" by the Detergents.

"Who's that banging on the piano? I don't know." Laughing

BTW, while I was at Youtube, I found this link for my previous post:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da6rYqI8z_4

StephenMacLeodOffline
Post subject: RE: Johnny Cymbal  PostPosted: Mar 31, 2014 - 06:20 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I like the one by Jimmy Cross-I Want My Baby Back.

annaloogOffline
Post subject: Re: The Detergents  PostPosted: Mar 31, 2014 - 10:47 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

RidinTheWind wrote:
I was listening to this one over the weekend. It's a parody of the Shagralas' "Leader of the Pack", which IMO just cried out for one, "The Leader of the Laundromat" by the Detergents....
Several years ago I found the picture sleeve at a thrift shop: The Detergents "Leader Of The Laundromat" Roulette

RidinTheWind
Post subject: RE: Re: The Detergents  PostPosted: Apr 01, 2014 - 03:51 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Nice picture sleeve. I would have grabbed it myself. I believe they also did an album, but IIRC, they were a studio group.

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: The Detergents  PostPosted: Apr 02, 2014 - 03:40 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

i have the pic sleeve and the lp. long ago i found a stack of the pic sleeves.

Dr.DarkOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: The Detergents  PostPosted: Apr 09, 2014 - 11:49 AM
Level 5
Level 5

Doesn't everybody love those novelty records? I always like to hear a parody or spoof record of a well known hit - or a demented or destructive version of one, like "Satisfaction" re-interpreted by Devo and The Residents respectively.

And I like my novelty records sleazy! Some, er, nice ones come from England like Judge Dread's "Big One", "Big Two" etc., "Up Je T'Aime" by Frankie Howerd & June Whitfield ("Oooh! Look at the size of that hole ..."), or "I Drink To Your Memory" by Mister Murray. That last one was also "nicely" done in German by Frank Zander as "Ich trink auf dein Wohl Marie".

wand143Offline
Post subject: Re: RE: Johnny Cymbal  PostPosted: Apr 19, 2014 - 05:26 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

RidinTheWind wrote:
I was listening to this one over the weekend. It's a parody of the Shagralas' "Leader of the Pack", which IMO just cried out for one, "The Leader of the Laundromat" by the Detergents.

I heard there IS an answer to that musical question "Who's that banging on the piano?" The person in question was a studio musician named...Billy Joel. I'd have to verify it, but that's what I heard.

RidinTheWind
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Johnny Cymbal  PostPosted: Apr 19, 2014 - 12:16 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Wand, now that would be cool!

rooster
Post subject: Re: RE: Johnny Cymbal  PostPosted: Apr 19, 2014 - 04:33 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

wand143 wrote:
RidinTheWind wrote:

I heard there IS an answer to that musical question "Who's that banging on the piano?" The person in question was a studio musician named...Billy Joel. I'd have to verify it, but that's what I heard.

I, too, have heard this story noised about in collector circles. Billy Joel made statements in 1998, in Uncut Magazine, referring to The Shangri-Las' "Leader Of The Pack" that that was possibly the recording he was actually on.

Here's what he said:

"I know I played piano on a session. The girls themselves weren't at the session, but that kinda happens all the time, the singers come in later. I played note for note what is on the record, but I wasn't in the musician's union I was about 14 or 15 so for all I know they may have got a union guy in to do it later. I never got paid, never got a form to show it was me on the record, so I can't say for sure it's me, but I like to think it was. Actually, it was my very first recording session a guitar player friend got me in. I also did 'Remember (Walkin' In The Sand)'.

The producer, Shadow Morton, was a strange guy. He had a very theatrical way of producing, he used to wear a cape in the studio. I don't know if he'd been taking any intoxicating substances what did I know at that age? but he was very intimidating to a young kid like me. I just kept my head down hoping no one would find out I wasn't in the union, but I never got paid, so maybe someone squealed on me."

I would think that if he were also on the Ron Dante/Detergents Parody, he would have mentioned it. perhaps not. He doesn't seem too clear.

rooster

Jump to: