The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
annaloogOffline
Post subject: RE: 2 weird Japanese (?) orange vinyl Wagoner/Locklin LPs -  PostPosted: Jun 18, 2008 - 11:38 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

The characters on the Porter Wagoner are Chinese. The Hank Locklin label photo is too small for me to discern. I'd think that both originated from Taiwan.

Reply with quote Back to top
TakbolehOffline
Post subject: RE: 2 weird Japanese (?) orange vinyl Wagoner/Locklin LPs -  PostPosted: Jun 19, 2008 - 08:43 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Yes,Annaloog is right both are Taiwan (ROC) pressing.

hokeypix
Post subject: RE: 2 weird Japanese (?) orange vinyl Wagoner/Locklin LPs -  PostPosted: Jun 19, 2008 - 09:07 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Thanks. Do they have a special collector's value? i.e. if I list them on ebay, any guesses how'd they do? (I assume for the Porter W. completists). And date - any guesses on that? 60s I'd think?

nealumphredOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 20, 2008 - 03:05 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

ANNALOOG

Thanks for that! I used to work as a bartender in the Sheraton Hotel in Scranton, PA. Like most towns in that area, the Italian resturants are great. . .

NEAL

recordfan
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 11, 2009 - 10:12 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

annaloog wrote:
Mikey wrote:
If the local manufacturer did not have permission from the copyright owner, then they are illegal - nothing to do with meeting any international standards but everything to do with whether or not the local producer HAD PERMISSION from the owner.
Apparently the Taiwanese mfrs. did have permission from the copyright owners, in (at least) one case: this is a judgment based on a Lettermen LP with the Capitol Scranton factory mark. It is near certainty that the Taiwan factory obtained the plates from Capitol USA. See: "Recycled" Capitol stamper used for Chinese releas for details -- the photos unfortunately have gone missing.

I used to come across these all the time in the 70s and 80s when I would do swap meets and flea markets. I would get them for between a dime and a quarter and the records were mostly in good shape. Most of the people that had these for sale were male and after awhile I started asking them where they got them. At least 20 different people told me that they got these when they were in the service and stationed in Taiwan. Several people told me they got these at various places and they cost 25 cents per LP. How could these be legal issues if they only sold for a quarter?

I have had 100s in the old days when I sold in Goldmine and most of the time when they went for over $20, they went to completists. You know the person that had to have every Buck Owens, or every Jim Reeves, or Beatles variation. They didn't care that the plastic on the cover was deteriorating or the record looked like it would melt at room temperature, they had to have this oddity.

The best movers were the colored Elvis, Beatles, Beach Boys, and Buck Owens. Almost all the colored Motowns would go for about 10 bucks each. Oh yeah, Cliff Richard on colored wax always sold for at least $50, but that was then and this is now.

NitroOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 14, 2009 - 11:33 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Here are the pictures that go with the first post. They were lost during a server problem a few years back.

It's a 10" 33 1/3 record . On the labels, it says Made by Universal Company Limited Taiwan China, and UHM No. 9. That and HI FI is the only english except for the song lists.

Side A:
Blue Angel-Roy Orbison
Captain Buffalo (followed by Chinese characters in parentheses)
You Talk To Much-Frankie Ford
The Green Leaves of Summer-Bud & Travis
Pineapple Princess-Annette Funicello
My Girl Josephine-Fats Domino

Side B:
You Mean Everything To Me-Neil Sedaka
Let's Think About Living-Bob Luman
I Bet Your Pardon-Johnnt Burnette
Ballad of the Alamo-Bud & Travis
Twistin' U.S.A.-Danny & The Juniors
Blue Velvet-The Statues

The cover is heavy paper enclosed in plastic, with an opening in the middle for the record. It's like two plastic bags made together with an opening on one end for the record.

I had someone translate, and there is no copyright marking on it.

Universal_03 small.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  36.88 KB
 Viewed:  918 Time(s)

Universal_03 small.JPG

Universal_02 small.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  34.3 KB
 Viewed:  917 Time(s)

Universal_02 small.JPG

to make that long link short "[url=" (no quotes) paste link, follow with ]my link [/url]"

stikOffline
Post subject: Re: The Who - Tommy on some Japanese Label  PostPosted: Oct 29, 2010 - 05:53 AM
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks a lot for this topic... it answered a bunch of questions for me

johncoOffline
Post subject: Sports  PostPosted: May 11, 2011 - 09:01 PM
Level 1
Level 1

I loved the pics ! Well done :d

Tough Guy | Death Race | Jail Break

Jump to: