The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Author Message
Chuck the WriterOffline
Post subject: Projects with records that are TOO warped...  PostPosted: Jul 17, 2004 - 06:31 AM
Level 4
Level 4


Joined: Jul 11, 2004
Posts: 85
Location: Albany, New York
Status: Offline
Okay, we've all discussed what to do if your record is warped and you want to un-warp it... but what if your record is warped, and you're resigned to the fact that it's unplayable... has anyone ever done some "arts and crafts" to a warped record?

For example... anybody want some popcorn?



warp01.jpg
 Description:
A popcorn bowl made from a Teddy Pendergrass album
 Filesize:  16.42 KB
 Viewed:  1946 Time(s)

warp01.jpg



_________________

Chuck Miller
writer, columnist, <b>Goldmine</b>
author, <i>Warman's American Records 2d Edition</i>
http://www.chuckthewriter.com
 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address  
Reply with quote Back to top
Uncle Hippie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 17, 2004 - 08:49 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR


Joined: May 28, 2003
Posts: 2198
Location: Beverwyck
Laughing Here at the Guild, we use them for skeet shooting. Laughing
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
greyhoundOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 17, 2004 - 10:20 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR


Joined: Jun 06, 2004
Posts: 1386
Location: Maine
Status: Offline
I saw some coasters in a shop in Boston the other day that were made from LP labels that had been laminated. I'd like to make my own but can't figure out how to cut the center out so that it's perfectly round. Any ideas?

_________________
Make a fast friend. Adopt a Greyhound.
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
NitroOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 17, 2004 - 11:01 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR


Joined: Apr 04, 2004
Posts: 6094
Location: Marianna, FL USA
Status: Offline
Mount a wooden dowel the correct size for the center hole in a 1 X 4 piece of wood and clamp to the table of a band saw after you start the blade into the record.

_________________
"Excuse me, but who's the one with a big blinky "Best Butt" sign hanging on the front of their house with a pole inside???"- kat1370

to make that long link short "[url=" (no quotes) paste link, follow with ]my link [/url]"
 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail  
Reply with quote Back to top
tashaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 04, 2008 - 07:55 PM
Level 5
Level 5


Joined: Nov 03, 2008
Posts: 173
Location: Paintsville, Kentucky The Heart Of The Highlands
Status: Offline
Nitro wrote:
Mount a wooden dowel the correct size for the center hole in a 1 X 4 piece of wood and clamp to the table of a band saw after you start the blade into the record.


Or try a hole drill the size you need - think dryer outlet size or better. And clamp down the record so it doesn't spin around while you're drilling...
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
pat5067Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 08, 2009 - 05:57 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM


Joined: Jan 17, 2009
Posts: 221
Location: Kinderhook NY
Status: Offline
tasha wrote:
Nitro wrote:
Mount a wooden dowel the correct size for the center hole in a 1 X 4 piece of wood and clamp to the table of a band saw after you start the blade into the record.


Or try a hole drill the size you need - think dryer outlet size or better. And clamp down the record so it doesn't spin around while you're drilling...



Hey, I finally have a real use for all those Herb Albert, Mitch Miler, Percy Faith, and every other album that has absolutly no chance of getting either sold or even played ever again.....



100_2306.jpg
 Description:
the drinks are coming
 Filesize:  27.88 KB
 Viewed:  645 Time(s)

100_2306.jpg



_________________
The jingle of a dogs collar would be fine.
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
tashaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 08, 2009 - 06:49 PM
Level 5
Level 5


Joined: Nov 03, 2008
Posts: 173
Location: Paintsville, Kentucky The Heart Of The Highlands
Status: Offline
pat5067 wrote:

Hey, I finally have a real use for all those Herb Albert, Mitch Miler, Percy Faith, and every other album that has absolutly no chance of getting either sold or even played ever again.....


Now what did you coat/laminate them with? What size hole drill bit did you use? Did you fill in the spindle hole? Did you turn up a lip in the vinyl? Or am I juts too nosy today? I have an idea that most of us have bunches of hopeless records. I don't shoot skeet, so coasters looks like the best way out.
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
pat5067Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 08, 2009 - 08:39 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM


Joined: Jan 17, 2009
Posts: 221
Location: Kinderhook NY
Status: Offline
tasha wrote:
pat5067 wrote:

Hey, I finally have a real use for all those Herb Albert, Mitch Miler, Percy Faith, and every other album that has absolutly no chance of getting either sold or even played ever again.....


Now what did you coat/laminate them with? What size hole drill bit did you use? Did you fill in the spindle hole? Did you turn up a lip in the vinyl? Or am I juts too nosy today? I have an idea that most of us have bunches of hopeless records. I don't shoot skeet, so coasters looks like the best way out.


It cost $30 dollars for the 4.5 " drill bit at Home Depot. (the biggest expense)
Just get a piece of 3/4" plywood , maybe 2'x2 ' square. You'll use this to clamp onto a table edge so you can drill without making a bunch of holes in the table itself.
The 4.5" drill bit has an attached 1/4" pilot bit which fits perfectly into the spindle hole of the album.
Clamp the plywood and the album onto the table. I also used a small finishing nail to hold down the other end of the album that isn't clamped.
Position the pilot bit into the spindle hole of the album and slowly drill down until the lable is cut clean. It should only take a few seconds. The 4.5" bit leaves a small black edge showing which allows you room to sand and file down any rough barbs left from the cut without touching the label.
This sanding/filing is the hardest part of our little project. It takes a few minutes to get a smooth edge on the label.
Next set the label onto a newspaper and hit it with some clear spray lacquor. (that's what I had laying around, but I suppose a can and brush will also work fine.)
For the back of the "coaster" I'm going to use 1/8" cork . You can get 12"x18" sheets of this stuff for about 6 bucks. One sheet will cover 12 backs.
Since you are adhereing cork to a paper label you can simply use Elmers glue...cheap, cheap. Cut 4"x4" squares and glue them onto the coaster back. Trim the "square" round after it dries.
I'm not filling in the spindel hole, that would take away the novelty of have an actual record as a coaster.
They are pretty cool looking, IMHO.

Now...any more questions?
Smile

Pat

_________________
The jingle of a dogs collar would be fine.
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
tashaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 09, 2009 - 11:34 AM
Level 5
Level 5


Joined: Nov 03, 2008
Posts: 173
Location: Paintsville, Kentucky The Heart Of The Highlands
Status: Offline
Thanks PAT!! You've covered more than I asked.

Walter

pat5067 wrote:
tasha wrote:
pat5067 wrote:

Hey, I finally have a real use for all those Herb Albert, Mitch Miler, Percy Faith, and every other album that has absolutly no chance of getting either sold or even played ever again.....


Now what did you coat/laminate them with? What size hole drill bit did you use? Did you fill in the spindle hole? Did you turn up a lip in the vinyl? Or am I juts too nosy today? I have an idea that most of us have bunches of hopeless records. I don't shoot skeet, so coasters looks like the best way out.


It cost $30 dollars for the 4.5 " drill bit at Home Depot. (the biggest expense)
Just get a piece of 3/4" plywood , maybe 2'x2 ' square. You'll use this to clamp onto a table edge so you can drill without making a bunch of holes in the table itself.
The 4.5" drill bit has an attached 1/4" pilot bit which fits perfectly into the spindle hole of the album.
Clamp the plywood and the album onto the table. I also used a small finishing nail to hold down the other end of the album that isn't clamped.
Position the pilot bit into the spindle hole of the album and slowly drill down until the lable is cut clean. It should only take a few seconds. The 4.5" bit leaves a small black edge showing which allows you room to sand and file down any rough barbs left from the cut without touching the label.
This sanding/filing is the hardest part of our little project. It takes a few minutes to get a smooth edge on the label.
Next set the label onto a newspaper and hit it with some clear spray lacquor. (that's what I had laying around, but I suppose a can and brush will also work fine.)
For the back of the "coaster" I'm going to use 1/8" cork . You can get 12"x18" sheets of this stuff for about 6 bucks. One sheet will cover 12 backs.
Since you are adhereing cork to a paper label you can simply use Elmers glue...cheap, cheap. Cut 4"x4" squares and glue them onto the coaster back. Trim the "square" round after it dries.
I'm not filling in the spindel hole, that would take away the novelty of have an actual record as a coaster.
They are pretty cool looking, IMHO.

Now...any more questions?
Smile

Pat
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
mpgalvinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 09, 2009 - 12:18 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM


Joined: Jan 07, 2008
Posts: 553
Location: Massachusetts (Right of Center)
Status: Offline
These are so cool. Thanks for describing your process.
 
 View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger  
Reply with quote Back to top
Display posts from previous:     
Jump to:  
All times are GMT
Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Powered by PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 The PNphpBB Group
Credits