The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Chuck the WriterOffline
Post subject: Projects with records that are TOO warped...  PostPosted: Jul 17, 2004 - 06:31 AM
Level 4
Level 4

Okay, we've all discussed what to do if your record is warped and you want to un-warp it... but what if your record is warped, and you're resigned to the fact that it's unplayable... has anyone ever done some "arts and crafts" to a warped record?

For example... anybody want some popcorn?

warp01.jpg
 Description:
A popcorn bowl made from a Teddy Pendergrass album
 Filesize:  16.42 KB
 Viewed:  1946 Time(s)

warp01.jpg

Chuck Miller
writer, columnist, <b>Goldmine</b>
author, <i>Warman's American Records 2d Edition</i>
http://www.chuckthewriter.com

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address  
Reply with quote Back to top
Uncle Hippie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 17, 2004 - 08:49 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Laughing Here at the Guild, we use them for skeet shooting. Laughing

greyhoundOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 17, 2004 - 10:20 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I saw some coasters in a shop in Boston the other day that were made from LP labels that had been laminated. I'd like to make my own but can't figure out how to cut the center out so that it's perfectly round. Any ideas?

NitroOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 17, 2004 - 11:01 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Mount a wooden dowel the correct size for the center hole in a 1 X 4 piece of wood and clamp to the table of a band saw after you start the blade into the record.

to make that long link short "[url=" (no quotes) paste link, follow with ]my link [/url]"

tashaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 04, 2008 - 07:55 PM
Level 5
Level 5

Nitro wrote:
Mount a wooden dowel the correct size for the center hole in a 1 X 4 piece of wood and clamp to the table of a band saw after you start the blade into the record.

Or try a hole drill the size you need - think dryer outlet size or better. And clamp down the record so it doesn't spin around while you're drilling...

pat5067Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 08, 2009 - 05:57 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

tasha wrote:
Nitro wrote:

Or try a hole drill the size you need - think dryer outlet size or better. And clamp down the record so it doesn't spin around while you're drilling...

Hey, I finally have a real use for all those Herb Albert, Mitch Miler, Percy Faith, and every other album that has absolutly no chance of getting either sold or even played ever again.....

100_2306.jpg
 Description:
the drinks are coming
 Filesize:  27.88 KB
 Viewed:  645 Time(s)

100_2306.jpg

tashaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 08, 2009 - 06:49 PM
Level 5
Level 5

pat5067 wrote:

Hey, I finally have a real use for all those Herb Albert, Mitch Miler, Percy Faith, and every other album that has absolutly no chance of getting either sold or even played ever again.....

Now what did you coat/laminate them with? What size hole drill bit did you use? Did you fill in the spindle hole? Did you turn up a lip in the vinyl? Or am I juts too nosy today? I have an idea that most of us have bunches of hopeless records. I don't shoot skeet, so coasters looks like the best way out.

pat5067Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 08, 2009 - 08:39 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

tasha wrote:
pat5067 wrote:

Now what did you coat/laminate them with? What size hole drill bit did you use? Did you fill in the spindle hole? Did you turn up a lip in the vinyl? Or am I juts too nosy today? I have an idea that most of us have bunches of hopeless records. I don't shoot skeet, so coasters looks like the best way out.

It cost $30 dollars for the 4.5 " drill bit at Home Depot. (the biggest expense)
Just get a piece of 3/4" plywood , maybe 2'x2 ' square. You'll use this to clamp onto a table edge so you can drill without making a bunch of holes in the table itself.
The 4.5" drill bit has an attached 1/4" pilot bit which fits perfectly into the spindle hole of the album.
Clamp the plywood and the album onto the table. I also used a small finishing nail to hold down the other end of the album that isn't clamped.
Position the pilot bit into the spindle hole of the album and slowly drill down until the lable is cut clean. It should only take a few seconds. The 4.5" bit leaves a small black edge showing which allows you room to sand and file down any rough barbs left from the cut without touching the label.
This sanding/filing is the hardest part of our little project. It takes a few minutes to get a smooth edge on the label.
Next set the label onto a newspaper and hit it with some clear spray lacquor. (that's what I had laying around, but I suppose a can and brush will also work fine.)
For the back of the "coaster" I'm going to use 1/8" cork . You can get 12"x18" sheets of this stuff for about 6 bucks. One sheet will cover 12 backs.
Since you are adhereing cork to a paper label you can simply use Elmers glue...cheap, cheap. Cut 4"x4" squares and glue them onto the coaster back. Trim the "square" round after it dries.
I'm not filling in the spindel hole, that would take away the novelty of have an actual record as a coaster.
They are pretty cool looking, IMHO.

Now...any more questions?
Smile

Pat

tashaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 09, 2009 - 11:34 AM
Level 5
Level 5

Thanks PAT!! You've covered more than I asked.

Walter

pat5067 wrote:
tasha wrote:
pat5067 wrote:

It cost $30 dollars for the 4.5 " drill bit at Home Depot. (the biggest expense)
Just get a piece of 3/4" plywood , maybe 2'x2 ' square. You'll use this to clamp onto a table edge so you can drill without making a bunch of holes in the table itself.
The 4.5" drill bit has an attached 1/4" pilot bit which fits perfectly into the spindle hole of the album.
Clamp the plywood and the album onto the table. I also used a small finishing nail to hold down the other end of the album that isn't clamped.
Position the pilot bit into the spindle hole of the album and slowly drill down until the lable is cut clean. It should only take a few seconds. The 4.5" bit leaves a small black edge showing which allows you room to sand and file down any rough barbs left from the cut without touching the label.
This sanding/filing is the hardest part of our little project. It takes a few minutes to get a smooth edge on the label.
Next set the label onto a newspaper and hit it with some clear spray lacquor. (that's what I had laying around, but I suppose a can and brush will also work fine.)
For the back of the "coaster" I'm going to use 1/8" cork . You can get 12"x18" sheets of this stuff for about 6 bucks. One sheet will cover 12 backs.
Since you are adhereing cork to a paper label you can simply use Elmers glue...cheap, cheap. Cut 4"x4" squares and glue them onto the coaster back. Trim the "square" round after it dries.
I'm not filling in the spindel hole, that would take away the novelty of have an actual record as a coaster.
They are pretty cool looking, IMHO.

Now...any more questions?
Smile

Pat

mpgalvinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 09, 2009 - 12:18 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

These are so cool. Thanks for describing your process.

Jump to: